Thinking about getting a GM truck.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

srtruck

Reaction score
Hi. I am just starting to do research now but I am thinking of getting a 1990's Chevy or GMC truck. Right now I have a 70's ford but ive been thinking about upgrading to somthing more modern. My family had a 92 Surburban which was a nice truck.
Im probally looking at a 1/2 ton v8 4x4. Is there any years that are better to look at than others? Are the vortec motors better or the older non vortec? I know I like the dash in the late 90's better than the old version. I like the look of the stepside but they seem hard to find and im not sure how they hold up over time. If you have any suggestions about what to look for please let me know.

Fobroader

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Welcome to the site man. The only year I would stay away from is the 95, nothing wrong with it, just a transition year so the parts are hard to find and expensive. As for vortec/tbi, Vortec has more power and better mileage but the TBI is more reliable. Personally, Id get the newest year with the lowest kilometres that you can afford. Also, dont fall for the Z71 trap, at this year of truck, all you get extra is a few more skidplates. Dont let the guy fool you into paying more.

dcZ71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I've had both heres my .02 cents...

TBI >> cheaper for parts, simpler, more power down low.

Vortec >> runs out stronger past 50 into the upper rpm.

Old interior is more truck like and classy feeling imo with the cloth door panels, two tone cloth seats, and digital a/c. The newer interior is well like most any other newer vehicle out there.

Both are good, buy the cleanest, lower mile one you can find no matter the year.

Super Silvi 1990

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Nice man some things to look out for. If your going to get a 4x4 or even a two wheel drive check the idler and pitman arms. It may drive great but these can still be out take it from experience. I could drive my truck with two fingers around town but when i was replacing the shocks i found out that they were real loose. (A GOOD TWO OR THREE MILIMETERS LOOSE). From driving both the TBI and Vortec i still take the old TBI over the Vortec any day. Also like the others said its easier to fix than the vortec. That being said the Vortec takes the cake in gas milage 12-14mpg is all i can get with my TBI used to get 15-17mpg with the Vortec. Interior wise the old style is better than the new in my opinion. Heres some pics showin the two.
You must be registered for see images attach

JJZ71

OBS for life
Reaction score
Welcome to the site man. The only year I would stay away from is the 95, nothing wrong with it, just a transition year so the parts are hard to find and expensive. As for vortec/tbi, Vortec has more power and better mileage but the TBI is more reliable. Personally, Id get the newest year with the lowest kilometres that you can afford. Also, dont fall for the Z71 trap, at this year of truck, all you get extra is a few more skidplates. Dont let the guy fool you into paying more.

What about the stickers?!?!?? You get stickers too!!!!!!

Super Silvi 1990

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Now now the Z71 did come with beefed upped shocks, Ranchos or bilstines back then i believe :hmm: now on a old one youll probably be getting some weak gas matics from monroe

Fobroader

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thats my point, a Z71 with 100,000+miles will not/should not have the stock shocks. So dont pay more for a sticker, the skidplates are nice but my truck had the skidplate package from the factory without being a Z71.

srtruck

Reaction score
Thanks for your advise. The only part of the interior I didnt like in the older interiors was the radio/heater controls. Which trannys are more reliable auto or manual? Is the 305 or 350 better as far as reliability goes?

bizzo15

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks for your advise. The only part of the interior I didnt like in the older interiors was the radio/heater controls. Which trannys are more reliable auto or manual? Is the 305 or 350 better as far as reliability goes?

They're both about the same as reliability goes and they are both rock solid at least in TBI form. If you can go with the 350 though. The 305 is pretty gutless from my experience.