New guy from Ohio

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KyleM1990

Reaction score
Hello all. Newbie here from Ohio. I just bought a 1992 K1500 Silverado regular cab long bed at a dealer auction for $1600. I'm 34 and this is my first truck I've always had older Cadillac's and a couple of Lincoln Town Cars, but I've been around these trucks my whole life. The body has 210,000 on it but I have receipts that the engine and transmission were rebuilt 65,000 miles ago. It has your typical wheel well, rocker panel, and cab corner rust, dash cracking and other little stuff. But I needed a work vehicle and everything works with the exception of the horn and A/C. Oh and one washer nozzle doesn't spray. It has new exhaust, and everything under the hood looks new. The A/C compressor, lines, accumulator, and condenser look new and it's holding pressure but it's definitely low so I'm going to look into that soon. I'm usually pretty good with A/C. I only have a 2.5 mile one way commute to work so I'm hoping with some care I can get at least 4 or 5 more years out of this truck even with Ohio's overuse of road salt.

C c

KyleM1990

Reaction score
It's far from perfect but the older I get the less I feel like trying to maintain a perfect vehicle, most people I know have goine the opposite way. It also would have been really hard to turn down a $1600 4WD truck that runs and drives like a 50,000 mile truck.

You must be registered for see images attach

Road Trip

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My take is you now own a RCLB chore truck with a very fair price of admission.
Even if you only get 4 or 5 more years of use out of it you will still end up with a
much better 'price per use' number than if you were starting with a new $50-$70K
full size truck that will last longer. Not to mention that you don't have to sweat any
scratches anywhere...even the bed. :0)

You own the truck. The truck does not own you. Very savvy.

Welcome to the forum. There's literally people all over the world in here who share
your good taste in work vehicles. Enjoy --

KyleM1990

Reaction score
My take is you now own a RCLB chore truck with a very fair price of admission.
Even if you only get 4 or 5 more years of use out of it you will still end up with a
much better 'price per use' number than if you were starting with a new $50-$70K
full size truck that will last longer. Not to mention that you don't have to sweat any
scratches anywhere...even the bed. :0)

You own the truck. The truck does not own you. Very savvy.

Welcome to the forum. There's literally people all over the world in here who share
your good taste in work vehicles. Enjoy --
I'd be happy to get 4-5 years out of it. Nothing has ever lasted me over 4 years yet, I either get hit in a non fault accident and the vehicle gets totaled or something stupid happens like and engine or transmission failure. For someone who's been working on vehicles since I was 10 and keeps up on maintenance I sure have a lot of low mileage well maintained vehicles fail on me. So now we're going to try a high mileage vehicle that appears to have been well maintained mechanically.