Things to check after I got water damage...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

IOWNJUNK

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
He said 5 feet deep. I think that qualifies as deep enough to let water in just about everywhere. With over 9 inches of lift and 37's thats up to the bottom of my windshield.

House003

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
He said 5 feet deep. I think that qualifies as deep enough to let water in just about everywhere. With over 9 inches of lift and 37's thats up to the bottom of my windshield.
It has a 4 in lift and 33's and it was up over the good and water was up to my ankles in the cab.. But hey she wasn't stuck!

House003

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hahahaha okay haha so back to the issue, my mechanic told me that the timing chain or gear is made of a synthetic material and that water in it could make it disintegrate and make it not start anymore, another mechanic told me to check the distributor cap because the timing chain and gear are metal. Can anyone tell me what it is?

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
If the valves are open it most surely will. There isn't a cam out there that closes all the valves at once.

No, on a running g engine water will not come up the exhaust system and enter the engine.

Period.

Now, if it stalled and say in deep water for any appreciable period of time.....:(

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
Hahahaha okay haha so back to the issue, my mechanic told me that the timing chain or gear is made of a synthetic material and that water in it could make it disintegrate and make it not start anymore, another mechanic told me to check the distributor cap because the timing chain and gear are metal. Can anyone tell me what it is?

Re water and the timing sprocket: do not go to or listen to that "mechanic" ever again. That came directly out of his @ss....

IOWNJUNK

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
No, on a running g engine water will not come up the exhaust system and enter the engine.

Period.

Now, if it stalled and say in deep water for any appreciable period of time.....:(

I meant stalled engine. I was assuming in 5 feet of water it had stopped running, he didnt specify.

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
A "hydraulic-d" engine will stop on the spot, so if you drove it out without kicking or missing that is not what happened.

There's lots of duff gen on boards about water fording. Even guys that think an puddle will "hydraulic" an engine. These people know not of what they speak.

The reason you can drive in water deeper than the air intake is that the truck will make a "bow wave" like a ship does. It pushes the water up in front of it as long as you are moving. Thus isn't for prolonged driving, but a crossing is usually OK. Far more likely you will sink the cooling fan into water and it will "propeller" itself forward and chew up the rad.

Your axle fluids need to be changed out for sure.

Distributor caps are very susceptible to water intrusion. Even a dew like coating will bugger it up and cause misfire.

Now, knocking noise.

If it is a true knocking noise it is likely you have gotten water into the crankcase (base of the oil dipstick and seals are often culprits when fording) and wiped the mains or rod bearings.

Do not drive it anymore and drain the crankcase. Make sure it sits a couple hours to allow water and oil to separate. If you get water when you pull the drain plug and then oil you bottom end is likely toast.

If it actually is knocking and not some other noise you are misinterpreting that is...