Things to check after I got water damage...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

House003

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The other day I drove into 5 feet of water (bad idea) and my truck made a very loud knocking noise on the way home. I listened to it run for a little bit to see where the noise was coming from. It was definately coming from the engine so I shut it off. It hasn't started since. I took out the plugs and cranked it over and it seemed to crank just fine, so I went and bought a cheap set of plugs to see if that was the problem, still no luck. I had someone listen to me turn it over, and they said the timing was way off. I am going to check the distributor cap and timing chain now. Can you guys give me some more things that could be suspect to check? I appreciate it thanks!

Keepinitoldskool

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Youll want to start with changing all your fluids. You probably got water in the cylinders though and bent a rod, cause guess what water is not compressible.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

98_k1500

strange noises are normal
Reaction score
The differentials can be drained and refilled, no problem. Transfer case also. If you have water in your engine oil, the bearings are probably toast (oil will look like chocolate milk) If your trans fluid got water in it (looks like a strawberry milkshake) it will de-laminate your clutches. If this is the case, it is already too late and you may be looking at needing an engine and transmission.

Source: Done that before myself.

IOWNJUNK

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Youll want to start with changing all your fluids. You probably got water in the cylinders though and bent a rod, cause guess what water is not compressible.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

If water got in motor this is most likely what happened. Either through intake or exhaust, once you get water into cylinders the only way to clear it is to crank engine with plugs out before attempting to start. Doesnt have to be completely full to bend a rod. A compression test will tell.

98_k1500

Reaction score
Contrary to popular belief, water will not run up your exhaust and damage your engine. When the water goes up the pipe, it traps air in the section that goes up to the manifolds. The water cant get past the big air bubbles to get in the engine.

98_k1500

Reaction score
I would bet that it got in the oil and spun the bearings. If you run it deep enough to bend a rod, its usually not able to be driven home.

IOWNJUNK

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Contrary to popular belief, water will not run up your exhaust and damage your engine. When the water goes up the pipe, it traps air in the section that goes up to the manifolds. The water cant get past the big air bubbles to get in the engine.

If the valves are open it most surely will. There isn't a cam out there that closes all the valves at once.

98_k1500

Reaction score
if it happens to be in a spot where there is overlap and the water did happen to fill the cylinder, it would be on the exhaust stroke when it was turned over, it would just push it back out the exhaust. Sucking it in the intake is where you run into issues. This is the only way to get water on the piston on a compression stroke. Unless for some reason the engine was turned backwards or something. Honestly, i doubt the exhaust manifolds were under water anyway. If they were, It was probably deep enough to suck it in the intake, not much height difference here, especially with the splashing of a moving truck.

98_k1500

Reaction score
When you run a hot truck engine and transmission under cold water, all the air inside it contracts very rapidly. This causes it to pull water into the vent tube very rapidly (or by seals if the vent tubes are clogged). It does not just trickle in, it is actually pulled in, and can be a very large amount.

House003

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I am definitely going to change all the fluids. Tranny fluid was pink but I had someone look at it and they said it was synthetic fluid which should be pink. I did turn it. Over a few times with the plugs out to try and get any water out. I have someone looking at it right now and they are going to do a compression test. I believe the water got in the intake, and not in the exhaust, and surprisingly it didn't look like there was any water in the oil.