The Stupid Lowered Questions Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
Do you mean the one that Lance is looking at? If so, that's a 2/4 drop, on factory styled steel wheels, or what I call the SS wheels. Stock size tires with those wheels on the SS's where 275/60-15.

Same set-up as this... (******* out pix of my truck! Again!)

You must be registered for see images attach

Elwood

Reaction score
as noob as it gets

Whew! Finally made it through this thread, took me a couple of days. I just registered here so I could thank all of you that contributed, I learned a lot. I recently bought a 91 RCLB as a project to force myself to learn how to work on cars. It is in pretty rough shape, so it's perfect for what I need :) It needs a lot of work, so I'm sure you'll start to see me in different threads asking noob questions. To keep this thread on topic though... the truck has probably the softest suspension out of any car in Hawaii currently so I was looking into replacing the shocks. Then I decided screw it, might as well lower it too. After reading this thread I have decided to do a 2/4 with new coils up front, and hangers/shackles in the back (probably DJM), as well as replace all 4 shocks (looking at KYB gas-a-just based on recommendations in this thread). I seriously went from absolutely 0 knowledge, to making this decision solely because of all the contributions to this thread from you guys, so thanks again. My question is, the truck has 220,000 miles on it, so should I also look at replacing the leaf springs as well? My end goal for this truck as of now is to have a inconspicuous street truck rebuilt from the ground up.

88C1500

Reaction score
Well I got this truck back in January and been fixin it up. Im use to lifting trucks instead of lowering. Im pretty sure the front has already been lowered and I would like to lower the back about 2". What is the cheapest/best way to do it? Tires are 275/75r-15

You must be registered for see images

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
Well I got this truck back in January and been fixin it up. Im use to lifting trucks instead of lowering. Im pretty sure the front has already been lowered and I would like to lower the back about 2". What is the cheapest/best way to do it? Tires are 275/75r-15

You must be registered for see images

2" drop shackles. Cheap & easy. First thing I did to my black truck when I got it, sooooo many years ago. IIRC took less than 1/2 hour with air tools, but no hoist. Did it on jackstands.

88C1500

Reaction score
2" drop shackles. Cheap & easy. First thing I did to my black truck when I got it, sooooo many years ago. IIRC took less than 1/2 hour with air tools, but no hoist. Did it on jackstands.

Is it something that I can do at the house fairly easy?

ccreddell

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Whew! Finally made it through this thread, took me a couple of days. I just registered here so I could thank all of you that contributed, I learned a lot. I recently bought a 91 RCLB as a project to force myself to learn how to work on cars. It is in pretty rough shape, so it's perfect for what I need :) It needs a lot of work, so I'm sure you'll start to see me in different threads asking noob questions. To keep this thread on topic though... the truck has probably the softest suspension out of any car in Hawaii currently so I was looking into replacing the shocks. Then I decided screw it, might as well lower it too. After reading this thread I have decided to do a 2/4 with new coils up front, and hangers/shackles in the back (probably DJM), as well as replace all 4 shocks (looking at KYB gas-a-just based on recommendations in this thread). I seriously went from absolutely 0 knowledge, to making this decision solely because of all the contributions to this thread from you guys, so thanks again. My question is, the truck has 220,000 miles on it, so should I also look at replacing the leaf springs as well? My end goal for this truck as of now is to have a inconspicuous street truck rebuilt from the ground up.

Jack the front of the truck up in the center (under the front cross member) go around to the back, and if the truck sits level, your springs are most likely just fine.

Elwood

Reaction score
Jack the front of the truck up in the center (under the front cross member) go around to the back, and if the truck sits level, your springs are most likely just fine.

Thanks for the advice, will do. Waiting to hear back from NorCalSS to order the parts to lower it. Thanks again to everyone that contributed to the thread!

hxc93

Reaction score
Maybe someone can give me some advice on my problem. I have a 97 ECSB with a DJM 4/6 drop. I am getting a driveline vibration in the 15-25mph range. I've got the pinion angle pointed down as far as it will go. Which isn't that far. With an angle finder on the diff, it was only 0-1 degrees. I also have 15/16" spacer under the carrier bearing. I am not sure what I should do next to try and solve this vibration. Will a pinion shim work with the DJM flip kit?

Last edited: