The Stupid Lowered Questions Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

evonik

Reaction score
Here’s a dumb question. Have a 95 Sierra on stock suspension.

Plan on lowering me truck 2/4 soon but I desperately need to replace the shocks asap. Rides like a boat over bumps.

Planned on buying a Belltech kit for parts and shocks but I prob won’t have time to do the whole drop for a while do to work/life.

Should I just buy some cheap oem shocks or buy the kit and swap the shocks and do the drop whenever I get to it??

Will drop shocks fit on stop suspension since they’re technically shorter?

Drunkcanuk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Here’s a dumb question. Have a 95 Sierra on stock suspension.

Plan on lowering me truck 2/4 soon but I desperately need to replace the shocks asap. Rides like a boat over bumps.

Planned on buying a Belltech kit for parts and shocks but I prob won’t have time to do the whole drop for a while do to work/life.

Should I just buy some cheap oem shocks or buy the kit and swap the shocks and do the drop whenever I get to it??

Will drop shocks fit on stop suspension since they’re technically shorter?
I would just go grab a pair of cheap stock length ones for now. If they are as bad as you say, they will feel like a million bucks!!! Lol
I wouldn't run drop shocks without the drop kit installed, they would be in a extended state just sitting there, and would be out of travel in a droop situation (pothole or big dip) and would run out of travel and probably destroy them.

And just so you are aware, doing the front hangers on these trucks are a major pain in the a$$!!! Especially the drivers side with the gas tank right there.

95burban

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Removing a leaf was one of the worst decisions I made over the 20 years or so that I've had my '98 low.
I've had, & then had to fix, several other bad ideas with the truck, but that was the worst suspension-wise.
Odd, did you have bad wheel hop? I’ve only done it on trucks that had helper bags and never had an issue.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
Odd, did you have bad wheel hop? I’ve only done it on trucks that had helper bags and never had an issue.
I'm the guy that's last on the whoa, first on the go.
Corners designated 60kmh & I'm going into them @ 60mph & then accelerating through, exiting @ 80mph. (Near double the posted.)
Straight lines are for fast vehicles.
Corners are for fast drivers.
Hard on brakes, shocks & tires.
I removed the overload to get an inch more of drop. (4/7)
'Overload' is a bit of a misnomer. Yea, it helps with a load, but it also provides a push-me/pull-you effect to the spring, ramping the compression up as the spring compresses.
Without that spring, the truck's rear suspension blew right through the travel and would not only just be kissing the bump stops, but sitting right on them.
Hard on the dentures.
So...replaced the overload & removed the next one up.
That changed the suspension's reaction in the twisties to be more like compress/compress/gone.
Also, with that spring removed, the suspension was too soft at freeway speeds. As the overload kicked in over road bumps & undulations it would overpower the softer spring pack & throw the rear back up, creating a pogo effect.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I'm the guy that's last on the whoa, first on the go.
Corners designated 60kmh & I'm going into them @ 60mph & then accelerating through, exiting @ 80mph. (Near double the posted.)
Straight lines are for fast vehicles.
Corners are for fast drivers.
Hard on brakes, shocks & tires.
I removed the overload to get an inch more of drop. (4/7)
'Overload' is a bit of a misnomer. Yea, it helps with a load, but it also provides a push-me/pull-you effect to the spring, ramping the compression up as the spring compresses.
Without that spring, the truck's rear suspension blew right through the travel and would not only just be kissing the bump stops, but sitting right on them.
Hard on the dentures.
So...replaced the overload & removed the next one up.
That changed the suspension's reaction in the twisties to be more like compress/compress/gone.
Also, with that spring removed, the suspension was too soft at freeway speeds. As the overload kicked in over road bumps & undulations it would overpower the softer spring pack & throw the rear back up, creating a pogo effect.
I had the most fun with my '94 C2500LD dropped, but with full spring pack (4+1) in place, and an added rear sway bar (Hellwig.) Full poly front suspension. I drove it like it was a Corvette. It kinda responded like.. well.. an OLD Corvette. Still fun.

Richard

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
My last square body was an '86 8600 gvw 2whl.dr. 'Camper Special'.
That thing was surprising for how well it cornered.
Heavy with a stiff suspension. Always kinda wondered how it would of handled with a bit of 'improvement' HeHe.
It rode like TRUCK! (insert: Tim 'The Toolman' Taylor grunt.) Smoother/better with a load.
Certainly no cushy Cadillac couch on wheels.
My Sis wouldn't ride in it when it was empty.
Said it made her boobs hurt.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Heavy with a stiff suspension. Always kinda wondered how it would of handled with a bit of 'improvement' HeHe.
It rode like TRUCK! (insert: Tim 'The Toolman' Taylor grunt.) Smoother/better with a load.
My wife used to ride with me in the wrecker, frequently. Back when I was in the 2009 3500"HD" (glorified 3500) - when we switched to F450's, she quit.

Richard

Jimmy D

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hurts my boobs just reading about it. ;)