The Stupid Lowered Questions Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chuy

Reaction score
Im new to the whole truck scene so I have couple of questions:

I have a 95 sierra and plan on dailying it, If i plan on putting on a 4/6 drop on it, do i HAVE to install a notch. I don't care if its not the smoothest ride but do I have to notch it.

Another question, are there any cons to notching the frame.

Whats the best brand too buy? I dont want it to just break because I bought some cheap kit.

If i wanna go lower I can always go lower in the back?

What size wheels or rims should use with the 4/6?

fancyTBI

Some of my trucks run and drive
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I have a 95 sierra and plan on dailying it, If i plan on putting on a 4/6 drop on it, do i HAVE to install a notch. I don't care if its not the smoothest ride but do I have to notch it.

Whats the best brand too buy? I dont want it to just break because I bought some cheap kit.

Yes to the notch. You will hit your frame and then you’ll be annoyed you didn’t do it in the first place.

As far as brands go: Belltech, DJM, McGaughy’s, IHC. Nothing unbranded from eBay or Amazon.

Drunkcanuk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

As stated above, use brand named stuff, you don't wanna cheap out on this stuff. I went with Belltech kit, wouldn't hesitate to recommend it, been around forever for a reason.

If you don't notch it right off the bat, it won't be long until you are doing it. Just do it once and do it right.

As for wheels and tires, that's kinda up to you and your budget. The farther you go from stock size, the more careful you have to be.
But if you are using drop spindles, you have to trim the lower control arms if you stay with 15" wheels. And it's a good idea to trim them anyway if you are keeping a 15" spare.

I stepped up to 17" wheels and 235/65/17 tires, basically staying the same diameter of the stock tires, width as well.

There is an entire thread for what size wheels and tires guys/gals are running on here, believe it's a sticky in the lowering section.

Nephrodoc

Reaction score
Inherited this 95 Stepside.
Can you guys help me identify the lowering kit.
The rear sits higher than the front. Looks like it has rear shackle and hangers. Looks like lowering spindles and coils. I’m pretty sure the rear is 4 inch drop and the frame is not notched. The front air dam scrapes everywhere and can barely pull into my driveway. I’m thinking of raising the front.
Any help is appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_0810.jpeg
    IMG_0810.jpeg
    271.3 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_0797.jpeg
    IMG_0797.jpeg
    168.3 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_0796.jpeg
    IMG_0796.jpeg
    142.1 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_0804.jpeg
    IMG_0804.jpeg
    190.4 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_0794.jpeg
    IMG_0794.jpeg
    294.7 KB · Views: 12

Orpedcrow

I don’t know what I’m doing
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The rear sits higher than the front. Looks like it has rear shackle and hangers. Looks like lowering spindles and coils. I’m pretty sure the rear is 4 inch drop and the frame is not notched. The front air dam scrapes everywhere and can barely pull into my driveway. I’m thinking of raising the front.
Any help is appreciated.
Cool truck. I see a “BELL” logo engraved on the hanger. Probably older belltech. Looks to be 4” front drop maybe?

Also, what size tires? They look kinda tiny. 276/60/15 would bring it back up a little.

Nephrodoc

Reaction score
Cool truck. I see a “BELL” logo engraved on the hanger. Probably older belltech. Looks to be 4” front drop maybe?

Also, what size tires? They look kinda tiny. 276/60/15 would bring it back up a little.
Those are 215/65/15, they look really small. I would like to put some 454 SS wheels and something like 275/60/15 to give it that beefy tire look.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Any help is appreciated.
As noted it looks like a 4/4 drop, you figured correctly - drop spindles and springs up front; drop hangers and shackles out back.

Your next move should be based on what you want the truck to do for you.

If you lowered the rear more so that it sits level, the air dam will still be low, but somewhat less of an issue since the truck won't be raked forward. The small rear tires would have less of a tiny appearance as the fender gap would close up. Pro: truck would look badass. Con: the best rear drop is a flip kit; you'd have to source stock hangers and shackles and swap those back in and the hangers suck to do. And you'd need to notch the frame.

Raising the front is pretty easy; either choose stock springs, or stock spindles. Either way is about the same amount of work. Then you'd be a 2/4 drop. Pro: less work/expense. Con: 2/4 might as well be stock height. ;) and you'd have big fender gaps showing off those tiny tires.

Richard

Nephrodoc

Reaction score
Shackles and hangers are aftermarket. Looks to me like a 4/4. These trucks have a out a 2" rake from the factory.
Put stock springs back in the front and it'll sit about level, or add a bigger tire as suggested above and keep some rake.
Thanks. 4/4 drop was my guess. I’ll look for some stock springs. I would be happy with 2/4 drop on this truck and some 454SS wheels with a 60 series tire.
I’ll look for springs, if you guys know a good source would appreciate it.