The Stupid Lowered Questions Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
hey all, so i have the ( i think ) belltech 689ND kit on my 94... i really wanna bring it up about an inch. all around ( 5/7" drop) what can i do to accomplish this?

New coils and shackles.

That kit is typical of Belltech (at least according to the pic) where they have a 3" drop spring but include a 1" coil spacer. I'd say if he's at 5" front drop then the springs are in there without the spacer. You can buy them separately and add 'em in.

For the rear, I wonder if you can use the next set of mounting holes with the Belltech shackles? Stock shackles would raise it more than an inch. What's weird is Belltech's own site calls it a 4 or 5 / 7" drop, and the picture shows drop shackles included, but the "included parts" list doesn't mention shackles.. only spindles, springs, flip kit, shocks.

Richard

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
That kit is typical of Belltech (at least according to the pic) where they have a 3" drop spring but include a 1" coil spacer. I'd say if he's at 5" front drop then the springs are in there without the spacer. You can buy them separately and add 'em in.

For the rear, I wonder if you can use the next set of mounting holes with the Belltech shackles? Stock shackles would raise it more than an inch. What's weird is Belltech's own site calls it a 4 or 5 / 7" drop, and the picture shows drop shackles included, but the "included parts" list doesn't mention shackles.. only spindles, springs, flip kit, shocks.

Richard
Sounds like "let's nickel and dime em" time....

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Sounds like "let's nickel and dime em" time....
Maybe it's how I worded it, I'm absolutely worn out from work.. but no, it's a 4 or 5" front drop using 2" spindles and 3" springs, the 1" spacers are included with the kit in case you don't want the full 5" drop you can put them in for the 4" instead. Kit comes with the spacers, but if he doesn't still have them or bought it already dropped, you can score a set pretty cheap. Well I SAY that, I bought some Belltech brand spacers years ago and they were cheap, but now I can't find them offered separately on their site, or Summit's either - at least not the ones that come in the drop kit. Probably a call direct to them would help.

You must be registered for see images attach

Richard

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Maybe it's how I worded it, I'm absolutely worn out from work.. but no, it's a 4 or 5" front drop using 2" spindles and 3" springs, the 1" spacers are included with the kit in case you don't want the full 5" drop you can put them in for the 4" instead. Kit comes with the spacers, but if he doesn't still have them or bought it already dropped, you can score a set pretty cheap. Well I SAY that, I bought some Belltech brand spacers years ago and they were cheap, but now I can't find them offered separately on their site, or Summit's either - at least not the ones that come in the drop kit. Probably a call direct to them would help.

Richard
Okay cool, thanks for the clarification. Get some rest, sounds like you need it!

1994rcsbLS

Reaction score

Richard
Thanks! i was wondering the same for the rear, it just doesnt look clear if i can or not. i'll try and source out a spacer kit from them. just a little too low with the 20'' weld rims. had to jack up the body just to get the rear tires off it lol ( not used to being this low, always had lifted trucks )

89obsSB

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So here's today's stupid lowered questions. (2)

(1) - Clamping the leaf springs so I can remove the overload spring and spacer, and replace with the new center bolt and nut Belltech supplied. This is on the '93 C3500 dually. I've never been real big on pulling any leafs, but the kit says I should pull this one so it won't contact the stops blah blah. Would y'all pull the leaf? I'm tempted to since Belltech says so, and it's not like I'm going to tow anything heavy with this dropped beater dually.

(2) - It's been probably 14-15 years since I clamped a leaf pack and pulled the center bolt. I know the pack is under some degree of tension but I can't remember how much. The clamps I have now are the same ones I used forever ago but it sure seems like it's tough to get much of a bite inside the leaf instead of at the edge. I used a 3rd clamp to compress the bottom leaf at the ends and that let me get a better bite with the other clamps. I have them positioned near the ends of the bottom leaf because that's the only place I can really get them in there. My gut tells me closer to the center is better, but I just can't reach there, gap is too tight for the clamp. Pic below.. what do y'all think?

I'm taking a dinner break then will probably be back out there in a couple hours doing what I can to get ready for tomorrow to cut the frame for the notch. Not gonna subject my wife and the neighbors to that noise after dark.

Richard
I removed the bottom one on my wife’s dually and did 2 inch shackles and it brought it down 3-4 inches. I didn’t measure before removal

Last edited:

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
STUPID question about Cut coils......cut top or bottom????
Someone might disagree with me and provide better info so I'd wait for others to chime in, BUT..

I'd cut the bottom. If you look
Bottom, so the squared off end can sit in the spring pocket.
LOL beat me to it, because I left my message unfinished in the edit box. These last few days really got away from me..

"If you look"...at the bottom of your existing spring, you'll see where it pokes into a curved slot in the lower control arm. When you cut at the bottom it's easy to replicate this. The top of the spring is cut flat...which you may have a bit of trouble doing. :)

Richard