The Stupid Lowered Questions Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

utvolfan76

Reaction score
Someone might disagree with me and provide better info so I'd wait for others to chime in, BUT..

I'd cut the bottom. If you look

LOL beat me to it, because I left my message unfinished in the edit box. These last few days really got away from me..

"If you look"...at the bottom of your existing spring, you'll see where it pokes into a curved slot in the lower control arm. When you cut at the bottom it's easy to replicate this. The top of the spring is cut flat...which you may have a bit of trouble doing. :)

Richard
Thank You!

utvolfan76

Reaction score
Someone might disagree with me and provide better info so I'd wait for others to chime in, BUT..

I'd cut the bottom. If you look

LOL beat me to it, because I left my message unfinished in the edit box. These last few days really got away from me..

"If you look"...at the bottom of your existing spring, you'll see where it pokes into a curved slot in the lower control arm. When you cut at the bottom it's easy to replicate this. The top of the spring is cut flat...which you may have a bit of trouble doing. :)

Richard
Thanks, I ended up just getting Belltech drop coils, turned out pretty good!

89obsSB

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Wont cut coils cause a truck to ride more stiff? Or does that just depend on what your driving. Let’s say 1500 v8 truck vs a 3500 6.5 diesel. We cut half a coil on the wife’s CCLBD 6.5 and it brought it down probably 3 inches. But the ride quality did not feel any different.

618 Syndicate

You won't...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wont cut coils cause a truck to ride more stiff? Or does that just depend on what your driving. Let’s say 1500 v8 truck vs a 3500 6.5 diesel. We cut half a coil on the wife’s CCLBD 6.5 and it brought it down probably 3 inches. But the ride quality did not feel any different.
Depends on what springs you use, how much you cut, and what they're going on.

Orpedcrow

I don’t know what I’m doing
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ve owned and ridden in a bunch of things with cut coils (cut with a death wheel NOT with a torch) and didn’t notice a perceivable difference. Using a torch introduces too much heat and changes the properties of the spring steel in turn drastically changing the spring rate.

89obsSB

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I’ve owned and ridden in a bunch of things with cut coils (cut with a death wheel NOT with a torch) and didn’t notice a perceivable difference. Using a torch introduces too much heat and changes the properties of the spring steel in turn drastically changing the spring rate.
Was just curious cause I thought about cutting a coil on my ecsb. Wasn’t sure how far that would take it or if it would make it ride to stiff.

Orpedcrow

I don’t know what I’m doing
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Was just curious cause I thought about cutting a coil on my ecsb. Wasn’t sure how far that would take it or if it would make it ride to stiff.
I’ve no experience with our trucks but I wouldn’t do more than one coil at first. Make sure you can line the pig tail back up, DONT cut it while it’s in the truck and don’t use a torch. My ranger road like factory as far as I could tell with one coil cut in the front.
You must be registered for see images attach

89obsSB

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I’ve no experience with our trucks but I wouldn’t do more than one coil at first. Make sure you can line the pig tail back up, DONT cut it while it’s in the truck and don’t use a torch. My ranger road like factory as far as I could tell with one coil cut in the front.
You must be registered for see images attach
I cut them before. Never with a torch. Cut them on my wife’s dually and on my 89 rcsb. But that truck was bare bones. No motor no trans not bed no cab. Was just a rolling frame when I did that. Never did fully re assemble. Ended up selling that project.