The Stupid Lowered Questions Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Alright so I am getting my first pair of wheels soon for my 1990 c1500 stepside shortbed and I want to make sure they are perfect, so I am really not trying to roll any fenders or have rubbing/scrapping problems. I don't know how much but the truck is lowered a little bit, but I plan on doing a 5/10 static drop either wat. I'm going for some American Racing wheels or US Mags. I know I want some 20's or 22's, but I don't know what size tires I should get, what's a good offset size, and what's a good backspacing size. My truck has a 5x127 Bolt Pattern and 78.30 hub-size. Can someone recommend a good wheel and tire size?

Last edited:

618 Syndicate

You won't...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Alright so I am getting my first pair of wheels soon for my 1990 c1500 stepside shortbed and I want to make sure they are perfect, so I am really not trying to roll any fenders or have rubbing/scrapping problems. I don't know how much but the truck is lowered a little bit, but I plan on doing a 5/10 static drop either wat. I'm going for some American Racing wheels or US Mags. I know I want some 20's or 22's, but I don't know what size tires I should get, what's a good offset size, and what's a good backspacing size. My truck has a 5x127 Bolt Pattern and 78.30 hub-size. Can someone recommend a good wheel and tire size?
5/10? That's gonna look like shìt. There's a 2" rake back to front on these trucks, your plan would give it a 3" reverse rake.
Offset is more important than tire size. Research on here.

jgreen16

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I was going to install a 2/4 drop with the McGaughy's #33134 drop kit, but now it looks like I need to sell the truck due to relocation. I'll just bundle it with the truck now I guess.

faststandard

Reaction score
Just purchased a 1995 GMC C1500 shortbox that has an old Chisholm lowering kit on it. The front appears to be tubular upper/lower control arms while the rear appears to only be a de-arched spring with no frame notch and no flip kit. Does anyone happen to know what the amount of lowering their kits provided? While I like the rear stance, the front is far too low for my liking - the truck has too much rake. Thanks for your help.

509OBS

Reaction score
I had a Chisholm on my 90 that I installed in 93. I only used the lower control arms on the front which was a 2 inch drop. The rear was a 2 link with coilers and dropped it around 4 inches with a little bit of adjustment.
You must be registered for see images attach

MrPink

Bainisteoir Páirteanna
Reaction score
I had a Chisholm on my 90 that I installed in 93. I only used the lower control arms on the front which was a 2 inch drop. The rear was a 2 link with coilers and dropped it around 4 inches with a little bit of adjustment.
You must be registered for see images attach
What size rear tires?

faststandard

Reaction score
Forgot to mention that I believe mine had dropped spindles in it as well. Those in combination with the tubular control arms (the lower arm has a dropped spring pocket) provide a much lower stance in the front when compared to your photo.