The Stupid Lowered Questions Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
3" shackles won't fit. 2" shackles have the rear end of the leaf spring literally touching the bottom of the cargo floor. I lowered my '98 with 2" shackles and 1" hangers. Combined with the 3" coils up front, it came out just right for what I was after.

And 618 Syndicate is right. Hangers are a *****.

You must be registered for see images attach
I bet ,especially on a Burb where the space is full of gas tank and trailer hitch, and you can't get in from the top like a pickup.
I love the way your Burb looks, would like to do this with mine ( when funds and shop space allows). The SS wheels look great on it too.
Off thread topic a little, but what taillights are you running on your Burb? Is the white part all backup lights? Thanks!

1badgmc

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I bet ,especially on a Burb where the space is full of gas tank and trailer hitch, and you can't get in from the top like a pickup.

The hitch was really a non-issue for me, but I also had the stock muffler on my Suburban, which is damn near the size of the fuel tank, making both sides equally as difficult for the hangers.

I love the way your Burb looks, would like to do this with mine ( when funds and shop space allows). The SS wheels look great on it too.
Off thread topic a little, but what taillights are you running on your Burb? Is the white part all backup lights? Thanks!

Taillights were just some of the eBay LEDs.

I sold the Suburban about a year ago. I kept all the goodies off of it, though. The drop shackles are on my 2013 Silverado. The taillights are on my '94 GMC that's being readied for my son to turn 16 in about 10 months. The SS/Sport wheels are in my shop along with the headlights and parking lights. The drop coils are in a box, possibly to end up on my '94.

Ratmonster

Reaction score
3" shackles won't fit. 2" shackles have the rear end of the leaf spring literally touching the bottom of the cargo floor. I lowered my '98 with 2" shackles and 1" hangers. Combined with the 3" coils up front, it came out just right for what I was after.

And 618 Syndicate is right. Hangers are a *****.

If the pic you posted is your lowered Burb, that is EXACTLY what I want!
Thanks for the info, guys!

Dads93Mark3

Reaction score
Ok I’m new here, so this might be on here already.
I am restoring my dads 1993 c1500 ext cab Mark III conversion truck and it needs shocks so I have several questions.
1. Do I use the same shock as a regular c1500 or does Mark III require something different since the truck is lowered slightly?
2.I would like to know what size rim I can fit under the fender flares? I have the Mark III 15” X 10” rims. Would like to get some larger ones (18” or 20”) I need to know what offset the MARK III rims are?

thanks in advance

1badgmc

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ok I’m new here, so this might be on here already.
I am restoring my dads 1993 c1500 ext cab Mark III conversion truck and it needs shocks so I have several questions.
1. Do I use the same shock as a regular c1500 or does Mark III require something different since the truck is lowered slightly?
2.I would like to know what size rim I can fit under the fender flares? I have the Mark III 15” X 10” rims. Would like to get some larger ones (18” or 20”) I need to know what offset the MARK III rims are?

thanks in advance

1. It just has 2" lowering shackles on the rear so stock shocks are all you'll need.
2. Most of those off-the-shelf 15x10s everyone was running back then were 0 offset.

Reaction score
My truck now has 3" springs and 2" spindles in the front and a flip kit in back. Id like the back down another 1". That's easy, just a hanger.
But, id like the front down another 1". Any other way to get that extra 1" in front without cutting a coil. I prefer not to do that. I assume the truck has 2" drop spindles. They were on the truck when I bought it.

1badgmc

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My truck now has 3" springs and 2" spindles in the front and a flip kit in back. Id like the back down another 1". That's easy, just a hanger.

A pair of shackles set in the 1" hole would be a whole lot easier than hangers.

But, id like the front down another 1". Any other way to get that extra 1" in front without cutting a coil. I prefer not to do that. I assume the truck has 2" drop spindles. They were on the truck when I bought it.

You could go back to stock spindles and add some 3" lower control arms.

Reaction score
A pair of shackles set in the 1" hole would be a whole lot easier than hangers.

I meant to say shackles, I just took off drop hangers and went back to stock for the flip kit.

You could go back to stock spindles and add some 3" lower control arms.

Im beginning to think, my truck isn't really 5" lower in the front. When I bought the truck it had what I assumed was 2" spindles and possibly 1-2 in springs. I replaced them with 3" springs. But, it just seems like I have to much gap based on the pics and tires sizes I have, what I used seems pretty standard for this drop. Ill try and post a picture. I have 15" stock rally wheels. So a 5/7 should be perfect.

Reaction score
Im beginning to think, my truck isn't really 5" lower in the front. When I bought the truck it had what I assumed was 2" spindles and possibly 1-2 in springs. I replaced them with 3" springs. But, it just seems like I have to much gap based on the pics and tires sizes I have, what I used seems pretty standard for this drop. Ill try and post a picture. I have 15" stock rally wheels. So a 5/7 should be perfect.

Junior_357

Reaction score
Looks a lot like my setup...except I stopped at a 2/4 drop. It sits dead level and is plenty low enough for my taste. I just had to flip my trailer hitch...first time I have towed since I lowered it, and the trailer tongue rest was almost hitting the ground. But it tows fine still...