The Stupid Lowered Questions Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DRAGGIN95

Warranty Killer!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Yes you need a carrier bearing spacer, the one that used to be supplied with the belltech flip kit is 2 in. x 2 in. , I make my own I use 2x2 1/4 wall steel tubing cut it just longer than your carrier bearing, and use 2 longer but same diameter grade 8 bolt's to bolt it back on and you should be good. I had $10 in the last one I made.

Gumbbee

Reaction score
ok i have got a piece of 2x2 steeel tubing and going to install it on the weekend. but the kit is got from a buddy came out of a 97 reg cab short box so having a ext cab will i need axle shims i see that some kits come with them. has any installed a kit like mine and knows if i need one. in the future i would like to run bags supenion but i use the truck for a daily driver and i live in Canada so that means snow and cold how would i run bags and not have the switches freeze up on me. some truck drivers say to run either in the lines or some type of air dryer, as any done or heard of a way to do this.

DRAGGIN95

Warranty Killer!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
You are looking for about -1 to-2 degree's of pinion angle or in other word's just barely pointed down from the driveshaft while sitting, so that under load your drive angle's are straight on, I have never had to run pinion shim's on any flip kit, but I am sure there are some cases where they need it, now I alway's run them when doing a shackle and hanger drop.

ccreddell

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
No, hes talking about the spacer that goes under the support bearing on the driveshaft. Those are definitely needed on a lowered EC. As for bags in winter, they make valve heaters-or valves with heaters-for that purpose. And yes you have to run a drier.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
I alway's run them when doing a shackle and hanger drop.
When I did the 4/6 drop on my '98, I found that I didn't need them. So when I did the 2/4 drop on the '97, I didn't bother to check. I do have a bit of vibration, & I do have to do the universals. They are the originals, with 135,000 miles on 'em. I don't think that the drop had anything to do with their demise.
But you say that you always use them in a shackle/hanger drop. It seems to me that the 4/6 drop would have more effect on the pinion angle than the 2/4. I'm learning as I go. Maybe it's the way I picture it in my head.
The 2/4 drop causes the pinion to rotate which way? Up would mean the wedges go in from the back to cure, down would be from the front.
Do you use longer spring center bolts due to the thickness that the wedges add? Or are the stock length useable?

ccreddell

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
A 6" drop (normally a flip kit) doesnt change the pinion angle because all you are doing is putting the axle on the opposite side of the spring-no geometry changes. When you do a 4" drop (normally a shackle and hanger) you get about an inch in the hanger and about 3" in the shackle. This normally drops the nose of the pumpkin.

DRAGGIN95

Warranty Killer!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
A 6" drop (normally a flip kit) doesnt change the pinion angle because all you are doing is putting the axle on the opposite side of the spring-no geometry changes. When you do a 4" drop (normally a shackle and hanger) you get about an inch in the hanger and about 3" in the shackle. This normally drops the nose of the pumpkin.
Yeah that's been my experience also, so I have installed the pinion shims with the thick part toward the rear of the truck, also I have not had to change the center pin it's still long enough.