The Stupid Lift Questions Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kamokevin

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Reaction score
Ok so this has sort of been asked before but with a 6" kit. I'm asking about the 4".

If I wanted to get the 4" RCX lift, Rough Country says I NEED a double cardan style CV driveshaft if I have an AUTOTRAC transfercase, which I do. I have HEARD that with a stock driveshaft and the 6" kit you might experience vibration.

The RCX kit is about about a 5" transfercase drop from what I have read on here and you either crank the remaining inch or so for the 6" or decrank for the 4". Will the driveshaft angle really be severe enough the warrant a new double cardan driveshaft?

Do I really NEED this driveshaft if I'm only getting the 4" lift? Keep in mind that the only time this truck goes offroad is the occasional hunting/camping trip. These new driveshafts are are around $400-$450 everywhere I look and once everything I "need" is put in the shopping cart the lift comes out to like $1650, which I just can't justify.

:help:

dirtridinz71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Since the 4" and 6" both drop the front diff (not transfer case) the same 5" the 4" kit too would need the need driveshaft. Cranking the tbars does not make any difference in the driveshaft angle.
Not to positive on actually NEEDING the new driveshaft as I've never had any experience with the autotrac in the OBS.

kamokevin

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Reaction score
Since the 4" and 6" both drop the front diff (not transfer case) the same 5" the 4" kit too would need the need driveshaft. Cranking the tbars does not make any difference in the driveshaft angle.
Not to positive on actually NEEDING the new driveshaft as I've never had any experience with the autotrac in the OBS.

This is kind of what I figured, I'm just not sure if I NEED it. Do you have any idea why it's only needed for the autotrac (NP236?) and not the non-autotrac (NP241?)? I don't have another truck to compare it to so I'm not sure what the main differences are other than electronics.

Also I don't know why I said transfer case drop, I meant diff drop haha.

kamokevin

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Reaction score
With the autotrac t-cases the front driveshaft spins all the time, even in 2wd. Unlike the 241/243's that only spin in 4wd.

Ahhh ok. I'm really not sure why the front driveshaft constantly spins but now it makes more sense why the np236's need the new driveshaft. Unfortunately for me that puts the lift out of my budget, but thanks for the help my friend!

rccoco

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I just picked up a set of 36/12.50/16 Super swampers on craigslist for $80 and was wondering how much of a lift do i need to put on my truck for them to fit? Ive got a 3" leveling kit on it right now with 16x8 inch rims.

ChrisAU

War Damn Eagle
Reaction score
I just picked up a set of 36/12.50/16 Super swampers on craigslist for $80 and was wondering how much of a lift do i need to put on my truck for them to fit? Ive got a 3" leveling kit on it right now with 16x8 inch rims.

A 6" suspension lift, cranked some with some trim should get you by if you stick with the 16x8 rims.

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
a body lift on stock type wheels with the crank.

Although the leveling kit does nothing stock keys do the exact same thing.

I aint sure if that's in here but it should be. I see it over and over keys do nothing save your money and the 2-3 inch lift kits you see, NOT BODY LIFTS, the susp. ones do nothing they are a t-bar crank.

am92

Fightin' Texas Aggie
Reaction score
The best way to go would be to get a full 6" suspension kit, but like swims said, they will fit with a 3" body lift and cranked t-bars with a block in the rear. Squeaky3 ran 36's on his truck for a while with that combo if you want to ask him about it

rccoco

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Alright thanks. Yeah all i have is the 3" blocks in the rear and cranked up front. I dont go hardcore offroading or anything, just the occasional trails around here. I might just get a 3" body lift so itll be around 6" total. Thanks again.