The Stupid Interior Questions Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Reaction score
My question pertains to the sill plates on the interior. I'm looking at removing mine for my interior redo so that I can replace my carpet. I was expected to see Phillips head screws down there but that doesn't seem to be the case. Are those Allen head screws or what are those? I can't quite tell and everything I try to use doesn't seem to be working. Any help from someone who's removed these sill plates before would be awesome!! :)

cjman250

Last Of A Dying Breed
Reaction score
My question pertains to the sill plates on the interior. I'm looking at removing mine for my interior redo so that I can replace my carpet. I was expected to see Phillips head screws down there but that doesn't seem to be the case. Are those Allen head screws or what are those? I can't quite tell and everything I try to use doesn't seem to be working. Any help from someone who's removed these sill plates before would be awesome!! :)

mine were phillips

slipping

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

Is this worth 75? I'm talking to some guy and that's what he said?!

If your buying yes yes get for 75. Great deal. If selling can get at least twice that amount

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
Unless someone has messed with them before, those screws should be a #2 Phillips.
They can be a PITA, though. The screw heads tend to fill with dirt, just because of where they are.
I try to keep my trucks pretty clean. I remove those plates a couple of times a year to clean out the crud the somehow works it way underneath them. Holy crap! Where DOES all that come from? Leaves, grass, loose change, dog treats, MUD!
Add getting into the truck when it's wet outside, and any water will collect under the sill plates creating the perfect conditions for those screws to want to weld themselves to the body.
Because the heads of the screws are recessed in the plates, they suffer the same conditions as what is happening underneath.
Fill up with dirt, add some H2o, let it dry, & the heads end up being filled with a substance that approaches the consistency of cement.
Soak the heads with a release agent. 'Moove-it', 'WD-40', or any other rust eater. A couple of doses, letting it sit for a while between. Throw enough at 'em so that it leaches down to the threads.
Use a dental pick, awl, or a large needle to dig the crud outa the screw heads.
They should remove pretty easy now. If not, get the screwdriver into the head, & give it a couple of taps with a hammer.
Give it another dose of the rust killer, wait, then try again.
After all this, even if you get the driver into the screw head, be prepared for a screw or two to break, or for the head to get stripped.
Time to break out the drill!
Use a bit that's smaller than the head, but larger than the shaft. (That, uuuhhh, sounded a bit weird!) Try not to drill right through the plastic of the plate. There's an internal shoulder in there which is what the screw uses to hold down the plate.
Same idea as drilling out rivets. Once the heads of the screws have been drilled off, remove the plate.
With a pair of vise-grips, start to slowly twist the remainder of the screw back & forth to loosen it & get that POS outa there.
These things have caused me many a headache over the years. For a job that seems to be so simple, they can be such a pain.
Compared to some of the other vehicles I work on, these trucks aren't that old. I've spent a whole day to remove 4 plates on a vehicle from the '30's, '40's or '50's!

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Unless someone has messed with them before, those screws should be a #2 Phillips.
They can be a PITA, though. The screw heads tend to fill with dirt, just because of where they are.
I try to keep my trucks pretty clean. I remove those plates a couple of times a year to clean out the crud the somehow works it way underneath them. Holy crap! Where DOES all that come from? Leaves, grass, loose change, dog treats, MUD!
Add getting into the truck when it's wet outside, and any water will collect under the sill plates creating the perfect conditions for those screws to want to weld themselves to the body.
Because the heads of the screws are recessed in the plates, they suffer the same conditions as what is happening underneath.
Fill up with dirt, add some H2o, let it dry, & the heads end up being filled with a substance that approaches the consistency of cement.
Soak the heads with a release agent. 'Moove-it', 'WD-40', or any other rust eater. A couple of doses, letting it sit for a while between. Throw enough at 'em so that it leaches down to the threads.
Use a dental pick, awl, or a large needle to dig the crud outa the screw heads.
They should remove pretty easy now. If not, get the screwdriver into the head, & give it a couple of taps with a hammer.
Give it another dose of the rust killer, wait, then try again.
After all this, even if you get the driver into the screw head, be prepared for a screw or two to break, or for the head to get stripped.
Time to break out the drill!
Use a bit that's smaller than the head, but larger than the shaft. (That, uuuhhh, sounded a bit weird!) Try not to drill right through the plastic of the plate. There's an internal shoulder in there which is what the screw uses to hold down the plate.
Same idea as drilling out rivets. Once the heads of the screws have been drilled off, remove the plate.
With a pair of vise-grips, start to slowly twist the remainder of the screw back & forth to loosen it & get that POS outa there.
These things have caused me many a headache over the years. For a job that seems to be so simple, they can be such a pain.
Compared to some of the other vehicles I work on, these trucks aren't that old. I've spent a whole day to remove 4 plates on a vehicle from the '30's, '40's or '50's!

Thank you! I just went down to my truck (I'm at work) to take another look at it and it looks like some schmuck rounded/stripped off each head of the screws so that's why it through me off. I may just take your advice on drilling them out from the get go rather than wasting time trying to deal with rounded/stripped phillips heads.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
Just in case the plates get screwed up beyond being useable, here's a tip. The driver side & the passenger side are the same! If you need to get another one or two from the wreckers, grab the passenger side ones from a couple of trucks. They're always in better condition.

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Just in case the plates get screwed up beyond being useable, here's a tip. The driver side & the passenger side are the same! If you need to get another one or two from the wreckers, grab the passenger side ones from a couple of trucks. They're always in better condition.

Thanks for the heads up! I would have not thought of that :)

98_k1500

strange noises are normal
Reaction score
You can grab on the pointy end of the screws with a pair of vice grips from under the truck and back them out without having to use the drill. if that end breaks off, it will be less that you have to thread back thru that rusty hole when you do drill it out.

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Reaction score
You can grab on the pointy end of the screws with a pair of vice grips from under the truck and back them out without having to use the drill. if that end breaks off, it will be less that you have to thread back thru that rusty hole when you do drill it out.

I'll get on the ground and take a look at this tonight and see what I'm working with from below. I can't believe something that is seemingly so simple is going to turn into such a PITA!

1badgmc

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Me, I gave up on the OEM sills and stripped-head screws and went with these. :)