The Stupid Interior Questions Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TylerZ281500

Yukon Ridin High
Reaction score
off the bottom. whats the backing of the door panel? plastic or carboard? plastic you might be able to take a little steam to it sometimes it can help break apart the glue. if cardboard there isnt really a good way except patience. usually on stuff like that if the cardboard ends up tearing we will make a new pallet for it and recover that.

BHBurban

GMT 1600
Reaction score
any tips and trick on getting carpet of the bottom of the door panels???

I usually just pour some adhesive remover right onto the carpet. It's non backed, so the solvent soaks right through and releases the glue

Sent from an obama phone

PossumJr

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
On the issue of that door carpet, I took it off on mine and have some vinyl I'm going to put in place, but is there a good way to get the old glue off, or do I even need to. Tried a putty knife and a heat gun but stopped because I figure I will screw something up.

JJZ71

OBS for life
Reaction score
Is it the black tar stuff? Putty knife and heat wasnt working for ya?

PossumJr

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wouldn't say black tar, it's just a yellowish thick adhesive, reminds me of weatherstrip adhesive

JJZ71

OBS for life
Reaction score
I was thinking it was more of a residue :shrug: Use a hair dryer on medium heat and watch to make sure it doesnt warp.

PossumJr

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Guess I'll try a hair dryer this time, but heat gun on low warped it a little on the bottom and the adhesive was still a pain in the a$$ to get off

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
Use the type of lighter fluid for 'Zippo' lighters. It's naptha. Same as what Dry-cleaners use. It'll break the glue down enough so that it will release. Apply it like BHBurban suggested. It evaporates fast, so you can't do the whole thing at once. Small sections about 6" square at a time. Show that carpet no mercy! Throw some muscle into getting it off
Once the carpet is off, put some of the lighter fluid on a rag & lay it over the glue residue left on the panel, and let it sit for a bit. Then once the L-fluid has softened the glue, you can scrape it off with a putty knife. Have patience. You may have to repeat this procedure several times. The L-fluid is cheap. You're gonna be using a fair amount, so pick up a big jug or two small ones.
DO NOT SMOKE while doing this!!! Extinguish all open flame! Work in a well ventilated area.

There is another chemical that you could use, but it's extremely dangerous to your health. It's called 'Xylene' or 'Toluene'. Requires gloves, a chemical mask, & eye protection. It can be absorbed by your skin, & the surface of your eyes. Goes straight to your kidneys & can cause tremendous back pain. Recommend using it in a paint booth.
But it WILL get that carpet off! Hehe!