The Stupid Engine Questions Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MOBS

The Mad Scientist
Reaction score
Since you're unscrewing those valve cover bolts, why not continue on with your head bolts and slap a new pair of edelbrock's on there. :D

:lol:

bertram31

Reaction score
My truck cranks but won't start. Getting fuel, but not getting a pressure reading at fuel pressure check valve. Is it possible for fuel pump to pump fuel but not at sufficient pressure. I get zero pressure reading, but I am getting fuel to the throttle body. Appreciate any help you can provide....

joshjuniorr

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images
[/IMG]

dont mind the smoke i sprayed engine bright on it shortly before cranking lol.

Can anyone tell me what that plug is? theres another one just like it on the p/s as well only its redish orange....Only thing i can think of is maybe it was for a block heater..

Also i'm currently chasing a idle issue. Sometimes it idles fine but with a slight hiccup. When i rev it the rpms jump up fine but seem to come back down fairly slow. Other times it idles rough. Lol its hard to hunt down something small like this.

things ive tried
cap rotor kit
plugs
new gas cap - was a long shot but i needed one anyway
checked the pcv valve its clean and passed the rattle test.

i did notice that the gasket at the base of the air cleaner is torn and half of its missing

MOBS

The Mad Scientist
Reaction score
Do they come down very slow like just creep down, or are you comparing the rev down to a carb'd engine? Usually FI engines have a slower rev down than carb'd engines, I've heard it's to help burn the extra fuel after releasing throttle, which makes sense.

The air cleaner is before the throttle plate in tbi, so that shouldn't affect air/fuel mix, but it could let in dust.

joshjuniorr

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It seems really slow to me. I'll try to get a vid posted up. Sometimes it'll hang around 1500 when I'm out wheeling

MOBS

The Mad Scientist
Reaction score
Check your throttle cable to make sure it isn't catching(frayed near the end)....also check your IAC valve for carbon buildup. Only other thing I can think of is maybe the temp sensor isn't functioning correctly and is tripping out randomly sending cold signals to your ecm telling it to open your iac valve more.

Also, if your computer is getting a funky signal from your throttle saying the rpm is too low then it'll try to adjust your rpm back up, same if it thinks it's too high, it'll drop your rpm down to almost stall speed.

MOBS

The Mad Scientist
Reaction score
Yeah, it's definitely not normal, atleast from my experience it isn't. My lil red express never hung that I can remember, and I used to bog the hell outta it. But I will tell ya that the camo wrap was the absolute WORST idea I ever did....that stuff is for pure show, it's not durable enough for off roading.