The Stupid Engine Questions Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FastOrange

OBSless
Reaction score
wutcha think about edelbrock vortec heads, valve relief dome pistons, 6-pack intake machined for vortec heads, and (3) 500cfm 2bbl tbi's?

or maybe same heads and pistons, but use a twin tbi tunnel ram with (2) 650cfm 2bbl tbi's?

oh goodness, i'm getting crazy, guess it's time to hit the sack....got a big supercell about to hit that's dropping 90mph tornadoes, so i should prolly get off here for now lol.

you cant machine a intake to use on vortec heads. :deal:

FastOrange

OBSless
Reaction score
Yes, I know how the drive-by-wire system works....in short the pedal works like a volume knob. But that system still uses a throttle body with plates that control the air flow....my '96 gmc 1500 has NO throttle body of any sort, no moving parts on the intake manifold(except the egr valve). Which boggles my mind as to how they control the air flow....the intake hooks straight into the duct work that connects to airbox, only other connection is the tube that runs from PCV valve to intake duct.

Anybody wanna blow their mind, then please explain how the air is controlled, lol.
Gas pedal is connected via cable to throttle body.....

fireball 440

Reaction score
haha I must have been drinking when i wrote that. Duh! I already know the answers! Coors Light UNSMOOTH moment of the day.

cdub

Reaction score
Got a stupid question. I have a 95 suburban, 350, TBI with all the ultimate TBI mods (with AFPR), cat back exhaust, e-Fans and an 140A alternator. 178K miles. I get about 15.5 mpg in town.
What if I were to get a high pressure fuel pump, say 40-60 psi and then throw on a set of injectors from a 4.3L, adjust the fuel pressure to maybe 20-25 psi?
My goofy logic says that even though the 4.3L injectors flow less, with a higher PSI I could get the flow closer to what a 350 injector is and also provide better atomization of fuel.
My objective is fuel economy. Not interested in getting a different vehicle. I like tinkering and love the suburban.

Your thoughts??
Thanks
~C

MOBS

The Mad Scientist
Reaction score
That's alot of responses....ummmm:

1) i typed machined intake, i know, but what i was referring to is ordering the 6-pack for the vortec heads from edelbrock, they have that option at their custom shop....you can even option them to machine tbi mount points in place of 2-bbl mount points....same as with their tunnel rams

2) that question was more of a trick question that failed....the 96 has the 6.5L, they don't have throttle plates, which boggles me as to how the air flow is controlled.

3) if you're JUST wanting carb upgrades, get a 500-600cfm....either get a 500 with open top(often called race carbs....they have no choke valves and usually have a better jet design for better gas/air mix)....or if getting the standard style carb, get a 600(this way ya have choke). This is based on a stock sized carb intake for a 350, those heads don't flow for squat, so no need for a 750.....cam changes will require different carbs, so will new heads, new intake, etc.

"Why buy a mercedes if ya can't afford the upkeep?" ..... Why buy a suburban if ya can't afford the gas? lol, jk

FastOrange

OBSless
Reaction score
Got a stupid question. I have a 95 suburban, 350, TBI with all the ultimate TBI mods (with AFPR), cat back exhaust, e-Fans and an 140A alternator. 178K miles. I get about 15.5 mpg in town.
What if I were to get a high pressure fuel pump, say 40-60 psi and then throw on a set of injectors from a 4.3L, adjust the fuel pressure to maybe 20-25 psi?
My goofy logic says that even though the 4.3L injectors flow less, with a higher PSI I could get the flow closer to what a 350 injector is and also provide better atomization of fuel.
My objective is fuel economy. Not interested in getting a different vehicle. I like tinkering and love the suburban.

Your thoughts??
Thanks
~C
:lol:

Your logic doesnt make sense.

FastOrange

OBSless
Reaction score
That's alot of responses....ummmm:

1) i typed machined intake, i know, but what i was referring to is ordering the 6-pack for the vortec heads from edelbrock, they have that option at their custom shop....you can even option them to machine tbi mount points in place of 2-bbl mount points....same as with their tunnel rams

2) that question was more of a trick question that failed....the 96 has the 6.5L, they don't have throttle plates, which boggles me as to how the air flow is controlled.

3) if you're JUST wanting carb upgrades, get a 500-600cfm....either get a 500 with open top(often called race carbs....they have no choke valves and usually have a better jet design for better gas/air mix)....or if getting the standard style carb, get a 600(this way ya have choke). This is based on a stock sized carb intake for a 350, those heads don't flow for squat, so no need for a 750.....cam changes will require different carbs, so will new heads, new intake, etc.

"Why buy a mercedes if ya can't afford the upkeep?" ..... Why buy a suburban if ya can't afford the gas? lol, jk
Sorry, i thought you meant taking an old school Tripower intake and machining it for vortec heads

i know nothing about diesels :dunno:

cdub

Reaction score
Your logic doesnt make sense.

Help me understand.
Smaller injector, higher pressure could provide same amount of fuel as larger injector low presser right?
If so than I would think the better atomization of fuel would help economy without sacrificing much, if any power.
Tell me where I', wrong. Just trying to understand.