The Stupid Engine Questions Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MOBS

The Mad Scientist
Reaction score
Ah I see whatcha mean, love your oil pressure by the way, lol. That was a cold start I assume? One of my 350's likes to hang around there sometimes after cranking and goosing the throttle, but it goes away after it's reached operating temperature. I haven't a doubt that the IAC on mine could use a good cleaning....finding time to do it is my biggest problem, but you might pull your's and check, or hell just clean the crap outta it while it's out. I'm trying to think of what else could be doing that, but my brain isn't wanting to function 100% right now, been on the road almost all day.

joshjuniorr

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
i know the feelin man. Was outside sanding the hood down for my trans am all day myself. Where exactly is the iac valve at? i'm assuming its near or attached to that throttle body. Wonder if my rough/hiccup idle could be related lol.

yeah my oil gauge only works when it wants to. Sometimes itll read till i push the clutch in then it goes ape **** or if i rev it lol. i just havent replaced the sending unit bc i know the pressure is good bc its not knockin its ass off lol

Last edited:

MOBS

The Mad Scientist
Reaction score
Yeah, it's shaped somewhat similar to an O2 sensor if i remember correctly, on the 350 it's to the left of the center of tbi....passenger side front of tbi is where it should be. I think it takes like a 22mm or somewhere in that size range, or an adjustable wrench(aka crescent wrench). Be careful and use a tad bit of loctite when reinstalling, mine came out with what looked like white lithium grease on the threads....it was either lightweight loc-tite or it WAS lithium grease. Since there is really no heat in that area, using the black/blue/red loctite should be fine, but I would get confirmation on that before you go to permanently affixing your IAC back into your tbi, lol. When you get it out, just use carb cleaner to spray it out really good....cotton swabs are ok but make sure to not let any lint stay in there.

What year t/a you got? I got a couple that are currently just backyard blunders(old projects that got knocked off the back burner). They're an 81 and 80. 80 is black with gold phoenix and 81 is bronze with black phoenix.

joshjuniorr

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'll give that a go tomorrow after work. I've got a 01 t/a that I picked up after deployment 3 years ago.

didnt see anything o2 sensor shaped other than what i figure was some fuel return lines. A quick search on autozone and i found a image that looks tiny so i pulled the only thing on the tbi that looked like it. Doesnt look too dirty but man that thing was burnin up hot lol. ones 69 and the other is 89. Anyone know of a way to test it?

Last edited:

smontijo

Reaction score
Ok heres my stupid question. I did the check engine light test and it gave me two long flashes and one short flash I looked it up and said tps sensor out of range. What does this mean?

zayres29

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
what is involved in converting a tbi truck to a carb setup i would like to keep the FI but its much more expensive and it seems like there are more options with doing carb thanks

MOBS

The Mad Scientist
Reaction score
@smontijo: i...ummmm.....well, I'm thinking that's just a general statement meaning the tps isn't operating properly? Gawd I'm terrible right now, lol.

@zayres29: There's a few choices, and the one i suggest requires replacing your intake manifold. Actually now that I think about it all of these require removal lol....there's 1 REAL solution: Get a carb intake and machine the 2 center holes on each side of the intake so they're at the correct angle with the holes in the head. That's the physical part of the conversion, the electrical part ummm, I will let someone else put their say on this. Everytime I've converted to carb, the only part of the electrical I've re-used was the starting circuit, when doing carb'd engine swaps, ya mostly just need a couple wires for the alt, coil/hei cap, and that's about it. I agree FI is a pain, especially the 96+ models.

joshjuniorr

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Put the new iac in yesterday.now the damn thing stays around 1200ish. Sometimes it'll idle around 800 but its a rough idle when it does. This is why I hate electronic motors lol. Any other ideas?

@the ses code comment
Id say check your tps. Sounds like that code means its faulty imo. I wish I had a ses light on. I'm just shooting in the dark

MOBS

The Mad Scientist
Reaction score
Did you happen to check for any vac leaks? Check your egr, check anything that hooks directly to your manifold for air leaks....maybe try the wd-40 trick or starting fluid if ya have it. If there are any vac leaks, the idle will change when it sucks in that starting fluid.