The Stupid Engine Questions Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Aloicious

Hired Goon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
there should be a thin multi layer metal gasket between the exhaust manifold and head.

jkeaton

It’s been real
Reaction score
Who designed the oil filter location on my 1995 5.7L 4x4....you have to be a contortionist to reach it and it drains all over the front driveshaft u-joint, flinging oil everywhere when driving.....I'm sure there is a rant around here somewhere on this exact issue....if not, I shall start one now.

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Who designed the oil filter location on my 1995 5.7L 4x4....you have to be a contortionist to reach it and it drains all over the front driveshaft u-joint, flinging oil everywhere when driving.....I'm sure there is a rant around here somewhere on this exact issue....if not, I shall start one now.

:lol: nope your not the first to curse that design. You can change it to a normal on the block filter and delete the oil cooler lines if you want. It's close to the drive shaft but will work. Makes it a little bit easier. Check out this thread for pics.

http://www.gmt400.com/forum/showthread.php?12948-What-oil-filter

Enginebuilder

Reaction score
I thought for sure there was a gasket used between factory exhaust manifolds and the heads. Manifolds came off today and there is no gasket. Is there no gasket used there?

Many engines do not have an exhaust manifold gasket from the factory, especially when both the head and the manifold are cast iron. When re-installing the exhaust manifolds, it is usually a good idea to install a multi-layer gasket, just to ensure that there aren't any exhaust leaks. The factory gets away without one because both the exhaust manifold and head have brand new, shiny machined-flat surfaces...

Enginebuilder

Reaction score
Any reason I can't swap the fuel injection system from my 1995 5.7 TBI to an 80's 350? Is there anything I would need to buy for such a conversion?

Original engine in my truck has 200k miles on it, is tired as all get-out, and I can buy an 80's 4-bolt motor that only has 25k miles on a fresh build for less than $600...

My truck:
1995 GMC 2500 4x4

twomanymontes

car show addict
Reaction score
Not 100% positive, But I believe the 95 intake manifold mounting bolt holes won't line up. Post 1987 Center bolt valve cover heads are a different pattern than pre 87 perimeter bolt style. If you swap the heads as well, you'll be fine.