The Stupid Engine Questions Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CJ91C1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
will running a hollowed out cat make my motor run rough? does it need the back pressre the cat gives the motor?

am92

Fightin' Texas Aggie
Reaction score
will running a hollowed out cat make my motor run rough? does it need the back pressre the cat gives the motor?

Nope, backpressure is a myth. The reason people think it affects engines is because if you go to exhaust piping that is too large the exhaust gas velocity will be lower and that will lead to less scavenging (the vaccuum effect that exiting exhaust gasses produce, drawing more fresh air into the cylinder during the int/exh valve overlap)...I'm assuming from your name that your truck is a 91 and in that case you only have 1 O2 sensor before the cat and none after, therefore hollowing out or removing it will have no effect on A/F ratios

CJ91C1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Nope, backpressure is a myth. The reason people think it affects engines is because if you go to exhaust piping that is too large the exhaust gas velocity will be lower and that will lead to less scavenging (the vaccuum effect that exiting exhaust gasses produce, drawing more fresh air into the cylinder during the int/exh valve overlap)...I'm assuming from your name that your truck is a 91 and in that case you only have 1 O2 sensor before the cat and none after, therefore hollowing out or removing it will have no effect on A/F ratios

thank you

Kevin11

Reaction score
Hello,I have a simple engine question I can use help with. I own a 1998 Chevy Tahoe OBS 2wd 5.7L vortex with 219,*** miles, what are the MOST common symptoms of a defective/failing distributor? The idle feels rough at times shaking the truck a little and at WOT she misses and hesitates. I apologize in advance if I'm posting this in the wrong place. This site rocks!!!!!!

am92

Fightin' Texas Aggie
Reaction score
Is it giving you a check engine light? Have you had it scanned? I have heard of several Vortecs that have had the distributor gear wear down and cause issues like random misfires so that could very well be your problem. If you haven't had it scanned take it and see what codes you're getting and then we may be able to narrow down the possibilities more

CrashCarson

Reaction score
First time I will flush radiator, new to pretty much everything about trucks, after new water pump I know water was put in the truck (not done by me). Couldn't find the drain plug and eventually took off the fan cover. Found the drain plug but it's a different one than the original ones in these trucks, didn't come out and I'm afraid ill snap it off (rain prevented me from finishing). Not sure which is the best way, pulling lower radiator hose is hard with fan in the way-I don't want to take it off, should I pull from other side of the hose that goes straight into the radiator?
Drain Plug:
You must be registered for see images attach

94Sierra4x4

All out OBS.
Reaction score
First time I will flush radiator, new to pretty much everything about trucks, after new water pump I know water was put in the truck (not done by me). Couldn't find the drain plug and eventually took off the fan cover. Found the drain plug but it's a different one than the original ones in these trucks, didn't come out and I'm afraid ill snap it off (rain prevented me from finishing). Not sure which is the best way, pulling lower radiator hose is hard with fan in the way-I don't want to take it off, should I pull from other side of the hose that goes straight into the radiator?
Drain Plug:

Pull hard once you get it loosened off, theres like a rubber seal in there, it'll come out. Mine was stuck pretty good

Kevin11

Reaction score
@am92 no codes,I have an interceptor scan gauge on the pillar that plugs into the OBDII port and reads/resets codes. I don't think the cap and rotor have ever been replaced bro,I can take it to the dealer for $115 to scan it on their computer. What should I do?

am92

Fightin' Texas Aggie
Reaction score
Maybe try taking it to a parts store to see if there are any codes stored in the memory...if it misses it should throw a code. If it's missing on a specific cylinder then it's probably the plug, wire, or cap/rotor, but if it's a random misfire it could be any number of things...

Blue95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You should probably replace cap, rotor, wires, plugs if they have never been done, that is the first before paying to have it scanned, oreilys can pull codes and will say what bank is missfiring if it did throw a code.