The Stupid Engine Questions Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AuroraGirl

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I don't think GM put a 700R4 in any heavy duty applications, like a K3500 or behind a 454 - too weak. It probably was a TH400.
my bad I didnt see the both were k3500. however, they DID put small numbers of 700r4 and np208s behind squares. IM pretty sure.

Im talking small numbers, not counting CUCVs and the np208 tho. That was common. The 700r4 can be good, but no factory setup from gm would qualify as good behind a 454 or 1 ton in my opinion Just like how the 4l60e was overused and the 4l80e was under used and they ALL should have had coolers from factory(aux).

Same goes to cars. My 4000 barge shouldnt have the rad cooler only with a L67 supercharged 3800 scooting it. The 4t65e is both under sized for that engine and undersized for that weight ESPECIALLY without a cooler.

Gm was silly... but you are right i would guess th400 except the 93. 4l60e or 4l80e but I would be damn sure to verify that incase someone trys to pull a fast one.

dryslk

Reaction score
so here's a question I want to build a 327 - 331 Stroker Vortec with stock + existing parts from my 1997 5.0 Vortec except the block. I dont need Hi Hp but I would like #325 + Ft Lb of Torque any good ideas ??? /// Just Thinkin

ben2go

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
so here's a question I want to build a 327 - 331 Stroker Vortec with stock + existing parts from my 1997 5.0 Vortec except the block. I dont need Hi Hp but I would like #325 + Ft Lb of Torque any good ideas ??? /// Just Thinkin
Your question would have better results if asked in the engine forum, but in a quick response, yes you can get that, but at what rpm are you wanting to get that kind of torque? It will all come down to compression ratio, head flow characteristics, and camshaft selection.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
any good ideas ???
Some people don't like hearing this, but ask around for a 350. You can probably score one for under $100, and it will always have more potential than a stroked 305. A basic rebuild with a mild port job on the heads, a better exhaust, and a cam recommended by your favorite cam manufacturer will have you at 325 lb/ft pretty easily.

FrankieD61

The Stooge Called Slappy: Slappy'sAutoService
Reaction score
What is the difference between the electronic spark control module and ignition control module? On of them is on the distributor and the other is on a bracket with the MAP sensor.

AuroraGirl

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Some people don't like hearing this, but ask around for a 350. You can probably score one for under $100, and it will always have more potential than a stroked 305. A basic rebuild with a mild port job on the heads, a better exhaust, and a cam recommended by your favorite cam manufacturer will have you at 325 lb/ft pretty easily.
my 350 doesnt even have matching cast iron manifolds.

You must be registered for see images attach

and boy does that make me sigh

AuroraGirl

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
What is the difference between the electronic spark control module and ignition control module? On of them is on the distributor and the other is on a bracket with the MAP sensor.
Electronic Spark Control is a system where a module will have the ability to pull timing in response to engine knock via a sensing means. So in your truck, there is probably a knock sensor and that module, and it works with your distributor(electronic kind?) to pull engine timing when knock happens because that can save an engine. older ones the HEI distributor had an integration with a module to do the same but it wasnt as reliable.

An ignition control module exists before, during, and after ESC modules and is the brains usually that decides when to fire( at least in DIS ignition) but in your truck it probably has some data it calculates or monitors and relates that to the ECM my guess. ESC is a add-on system that does a function a old mechanical distributor system couldnt do natively or on its own. In newer vehicles, a PCM or ICM would be the arbiter on Knock control most likely. On my 3800 v6 its partially the PCM job and mostly the ICM job.

AuroraGirl

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

I have 3 350s :) plus the one in my truck plus the buick 350 in my electra. the green is a 77 smogger, the blue is 80 smoger, the orange is a 72 (not smog?)