The Stupid Engine Questions Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you keep the old engine for anything, magnaflux it. My son overheated the crap out of my Suburban, and it never seized up, but both heads were cracked. I replace the heads and rebuilt the engine, and it still pushed combustion gas into the coolant. I'm pretty sure it cracked the block, and I sold it cheap.

ben2go

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you keep the old engine for anything, magnaflux it. My son overheated the crap out of my Suburban, and it never seized up, but both heads were cracked. I replace the heads and rebuilt the engine, and it still pushed combustion gas into the coolant. I'm pretty sure it cracked the block, and I sold it cheap.

My son is gathering parts to restore the truck and he plans to do a complete rebuild of the engine that seized. I'm pretty sure it has one more rebuild in it. The guy we bought the truck from is a friend of mine. We put a reman in the truck back in 1997. As soon as the weather calms down, and we can work on it, we will know more. I want to diagnose the current engine while we look for another one to swap in.

ben2go

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have the same dipstick issue. After adding five quarts after an oil change, the dipstick reads two quarts over full.

An update to the seized engine. The engine seized due to a stuck valve when the engine overheated. I have the valve train apart and spark plugs out. The engine turns over by hand very easily. I'll be pulling the heads and having them checked out before making repairs.