The Stupid Engine Questions Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Frank Enstein

Best. Day. EVER!
Reaction score
@PlayingWithTBI So i was able to got my fuel pressure dialed in it is @ 19psi going into the TBI unit now. instead of the 58-60 from the vortec pump. it runs and idles so much better however I am fighting a code 43 have been since I replaced the SES bulb, it stumbles and will occasionally backfire out the TBI. The code is for ESC, knock sensor or worse yet ECM. I am semi new to the TBI 350's as I am use to carb's. I really am getting sick of the TBI setup as a whole. I have noticed that my distributor may be a bit advanced(turned clockwise) as my #1 cyl is almost pointing straight towards the front of my truck and it is suppose to point towards the coil-ish.
Rotating the distributor clockwise will retard the timing. The TBI doesn't know or care which one is number one just like a carburetor. The Vortec on the other hand, is picky!

MrPink

Bainisteoir Páirteanna
Reaction score
Plug the one on the TB and connect the new regulator to the line going to the tank.

I actually ended up running a T fitting for my return line it seems to work fine.

Rotating the distributor clockwise will retard the timing. The TBI doesn't know or care which one is number one just like a carburetor. The Vortec on the other hand, is picky!

Would that cause it to stumble and backfire out the TBI?

You must be registered for see images attach

Frank Enstein

Best. Day. EVER!
Reaction score
I actually ended up running a T fitting for my return line it seems to work fine.

Would that cause it to stumble and backfire out the TBI?

You must be registered for see images attach
It shouldn't but if the fuel pressure bobbles it will. I would still plug the return from the TBI.

ben2go

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
We have an 89 2500 with 5.7L engine. Last night my son was driving the truck, it overheated and locked the engine. What range of years should I be looking at to pull an engine from?

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What range of years should I be looking at to pull an engine from?
87 - 95 were all TBI. You may have to reuse some of the top end parts from your 89. The newer engines (92 - 95 IIRC) use a different TPS connector but you can get an adapter or reuse your TB.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/233382109198?hash=item3656a8600e:g:gZgAAMXQ9y9SM1~r

After installing the replacement, I would flush the entire cooling system and replace water pump, T-Stat, maybe radiator, and CTS just for grins and giggles.

ben2go

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
87 - 95 were all TBI. You may have to reuse some of the top end parts from your 89. The newer engines (92 - 95 IIRC) use a different TPS connector but you can get an adapter or reuse your TB.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/233382109198?hash=item3656a8600e:g:gZgAAMXQ9y9SM1~r

After installing the replacement, I would flush the entire cooling system and replace water pump, T-Stat, maybe radiator, and CTS just for grins and giggles.

Thanks for that info.

Yeah, I go through and do that along with seals and gaskets to make sure the engine doesn't leak and has a chance of staying together.

I don't know why this engine suddenly blew a head gasket. We did a full cooling system service because a couple of hoses were looking a bit ratty and one was starting to swell. The temp gauge always hung in right under the 220 mark. The T-stat was good. I removed and checked it. We replaced it anyway along with the radiator cap. It had one of those ricer red caps that fit really bad and was hard to remove. Maybe putting the new cap on brought the system pressure up where it should have been and blew the gasket out. I know the truck ran right at the 200* mark after our cooling system rehab. I'm going to replace the temp sensor in the new engine just in case.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know the truck ran right at the 200* mark after our cooling system rehab. I'm going to replace the temp sensor in the new engine just in case.
Keep in mind your 1-wire temp gauge sender is on the driver's side head between cylinders 1 & 3 while your ECM's 2-wire temp sender is next to the T-Stat housing. From past experience the one in the head always reads higher since it's closer to where all the big bangs happen instead of in the water jacket. If I were a betting man I'd say your head gasket blew between cyls 4 & 6 or 3 & 5, or both.

Anyway blown head gaskets and/or cracked heads are fairly common place. When you get your replacement engine you may want to get the heads checked for cracks or buy new replacements along with putting a flat edge on the block decks.

ben2go

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Keep in mind your 1-wire temp gauge sender is on the driver's side head between cylinders 1 & 3 while your ECM's 2-wire temp sender is next to the T-Stat housing. From past experience the one in the head always reads higher since it's closer to where all the big bangs happen instead of in the water jacket. If I were a betting man I'd say your head gasket blew between cyls 4 & 6 or 3 & 5, or both.

Anyway blown head gaskets and/or cracked heads are fairly common place. When you get your replacement engine you may want to get the heads checked for cracks or buy new replacements along with putting a flat edge on the block decks.

The head gasket blew around the back of the passenger side head. The entire gasket was blown away around the coolant cross-over port for the intake. Him driving the truck to a spot to pull over overheated the engine and seized it. He was on a major highway with few options to pull off.