The Stupid Engine Questions Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SUBURBAN5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well, that was a lot of hard earned money you spent. I'd say there's no shame in contacting them. You'll probably have to escalate it a couple of levels, so be mentally prepared. Lol

It looks like it goes up instead of towards the front. Anyways heres the comparison

You must be registered for see images attach

1ton-o-fun

Automotive Durability Tester
Reaction score
I would assume so because of the stroke. When you test fit, tighten the oil pan down (unless your crank is in the way, lol) and rotate the crank pulley at least one complete turn (if you can) then look inside the pan to see if there was any contact marks.

james randall

Reaction score
Post here if you have a simple question. This will help keep track of common info and reduce clutter.
My 96 tahoe has trouble cranking cold but after its warmed up it cranks with no problem. Im not a mechanic so i cant figure out the problem . If any one can help me it would be appreciated

ben2go

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
My 96 tahoe has trouble cranking cold but after its warmed up it cranks with no problem. Im not a mechanic so i cant figure out the problem . If any one can help me it would be appreciated

Corrosion on the wiring terminals in the system. A failing ground strap from the engine to the chassis. Wiring is getting old and is breaking down causing excessive resistance. Weak battery. The alternator not putting out enough charge to keep the battery at full charge. There are more but these are the likely culprits.

MMcc

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here's a stupid one.
Got a fresh "ACDelco" PCV valve on rock auto. The thing rattles like a baby's toy. No spring pressure at all. I dont remember any other PCV valve acting like this. Did I get a bum part?
Blowing through it: freeflow one way, and doesnt hold much of any pressure the other.

SUBURBAN5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Here's a stupid one.
Got a fresh "ACDelco" PCV valve on rock auto. The thing rattles like a baby's toy. No spring pressure at all. I dont remember any other PCV valve acting like this. Did I get a bum part?
Blowing through it: freeflow one way, and doesnt hold much of any pressure the other.

There supposed to rattle lol. I'm ordering one too, cause my current one doesnt

noneYet

Reaction score
My question is so stupid (and simple) that I'm honestly ashamed to bother anyone with it. (Especially as a new forum member.) But the name of this thread washed away just enough shame that I'll go for it. Plus I'm sure some of you will enjoy the photo.

I recently bought an '89 K2500 with the 350 (L05). The engine just purred... until it died. Pulled it home and started poking, fiddling, and messing - standard intake procedure. When I pulled the air cleaner I noticed how the coil is, ahem, mounted. (Also note its extra-special ground connection. That's not right, right? :) )

I think I could probably improve on this "mount", but the current install doesn't give me much to go on regarding where and how it's supposed to be. I'm sure there's a good picture of a properly mounted coil somewhere, but my electro-searches have just reminded me that the computernet is a very big haystack. I know if I had a service manual it'd tell me where & how the IC should be mounted, but I don't have one yet, and I want to fiddle with it NOW. So thanks in advance to anyone who sends a picture or something of this thing in its proper place. And I hope getting to see the photo made up for having to field such a lame question.