The Stupid Engine Questions Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
But does the coolant temp sensor in the intake have that much bearing on how rich it would run?

Checked the resistance of my CTS it read 5.93ohm but that was engine off just sitting in the garage. so that is leading me to believe that it is bad.
Yes, if the ECM thinks it's cold it'll add fuel. 5.93 Ohms sounds weird. You can take the CTS and check resistance at room temperature, then put it in boiling water to see what it reads then. Here's a chart I found by Googling.
You must be registered for see images attach

AK49BWL

GMT400 Forever!
Reaction score
Doesn't the computer alter timing based on the engine temp as well, or is that only a Vortec+ thing

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Doesn't the computer alter timing based on the engine temp as well, or is that only a Vortec+ thing
Yes it does based on temp (5 - 115*C) and MAP (40 - 0) in a 3 dimensional table. I don't worry about it though, my engine doesn't idle at less than 45 MAP, LOL.

MrPink

Bainisteoir Páirteanna
Reaction score
Yes, if the ECM thinks it's cold it'll add fuel. 5.93 Ohms sounds weird. You can take the CTS and check resistance at room temperature, then put it in boiling water to see what it reads then. Here's a chart I found by Googling.

so i forgot to move the decimal point it is 5930ohm not 5.93. it was tested at ~48*F. so it seems to be fine.

SUBURBAN5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Anybody here know why the vortec 383 calls for ac delco r44lts plugs? I would of thought it takes performance plugs like rapid fire or at least oem?

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anybody here know why the vortec 383 calls for ac delco r44lts plugs?
The LTS plugs are long reach (3/4" instead of 5/8") plugs. Does your engine have aluminum heads? It's not a fire breathing dragon that will turn 10,000 RPM. Those plugs are plenty good enough. My only thought would be, if the heads are indeed aluminum you s/b using gasketed plugs rather than taper seat. YMMV

SUBURBAN5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The LTS plugs are long reach (3/4" instead of 5/8") plugs. Does your engine have aluminum heads? It's not a fire breathing dragon that will turn 10,000 RPM. Those plugs are plenty good enough. My only thought would be, if the heads are indeed aluminum you s/b using gasketed plugs rather than taper seat. YMMV

I'm not sure just was reading parts list from gm for the motor. I would of thought it uses the same plugs. Thought the heads were cast.

SUBURBAN5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Also what starter do I put in? I thought oem or whatever rockauto sells.. but this document list 2 other starters in not familiar with.

SUBURBAN5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah, it says Vortec cast iron heads. Maybe call them and confirm it's not a typo, or do Vortec heads use the long reach plugs too?

Not sure when I do the swap I'll compare plugs and confirm. I need to call them anyways about the starters. That one kind of weird