The Stupid Engine Questions Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Being a '91 it should be a 4L60 ('90-'93) with a TV cable and four wires. If it somehow has a 4L60E ('93 and later), it won't have a TV cable, but the harness will have about twenty wires.

MrPink

Bainisteoir Páirteanna
Reaction score
What's your fuel pressure? You may have a broken pressure regulator spring or plugged injector screens. I'm guessing you put in a new fuel filter then too?

@PlayingWithTBI my Fuel PSI is at 58-60 when running, which is well within spec for the vortec pump. I am replacing the FPR and Injectors here this upcoming week, hopefully it fixes the issue.

MrPink

Bainisteoir Páirteanna
Reaction score
yep vortec pump, i have narrowed it down to a bad FPR and crap injectors. that was tested in the feed line i will check the return as well to see it also. i haven't had much garage time in the past week.

MrPink

Bainisteoir Páirteanna
Reaction score
TBI I will be running 15psi when i actually install my new FRP and hamilton injection spring since i am replacing the Injectors and rebuilding the TBI at the same time. once I get it running correctly I will be doing new timing chain, cam, headers it already has an exhaust done on it. I am not doing a crazy build as I will eventually pull it and rebuild it or build a spare 350.

ben2go

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I helped my friend put this engine in our truck back when he owned it. I didn't see the original engine. This engine is a Jasper reman he bought new. I know he used parts from the original engine plus parts from another engine to make this engine work. I don't know what parts were used but I need the correct dipstick. This one reads over full by 1.5 quarts when we do an oil change. I also noticed that the belt routing diagram on the header panel is very different from the engine we installed. I think the block is from a newer truck and my friend combined parts to make them work together without sending the engine back for the correct one. Truck info is in sig line.

You must be registered for see images attach

MrPink

Bainisteoir Páirteanna
Reaction score
@PlayingWithTBI so the new regulator, and injectors are in and it still runs the same, the spray pattern is better and it was the last in the fuel system that wasn't touched so it was needed regardless. But does the coolant temp sensor in the intake have that much bearing on how rich it would run?

Checked the resistance of my CTS it read 5.93ohm but that was engine off just sitting in the garage. so that is leading me to believe that it is bad.

Last edited: