The Stupid Engine Questions Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Frogprince

Reaction score
@Frogprince 2k doesn’t sound like what I would call normal idle, but I’m no expert esp. on the diesels.

It isn't the diesel just the big Vortec 7.4l. Idle RPM is at rest (Park or Stopped) is around 800. My question was is it normal for the torque and size of the motor on a flat basically keep it moving at 30mph with around 2k rpms without much input on the throttle.

AK49BWL

GMT400 Forever!
Reaction score
I know my parents had a 94 Suburban that had the 454 that would run itself up to about 30 at 1300rpm with no throttle at all, but not 2k if I recall right. Very torquey engine. They might have done something different with the throttle follower or throttle ******* IAC tables in the tune for the 96+ Vortec 454s that would keep the rpm up.

Reaction score
I'm looking for a replacement motor for my 96 k1500. 5.7L vortec. I found one in a 1999 chev express van. As far as I know I will have to switch over the oil filler tube, dipstick, and oil filter fitting. Other than that will this work?

JC Denton

Reaction score
Whats up with this stray connector near ignition coil on my 93 c1500 4.3 auto?
You must be registered for see images attach

ZeRo2o9

Reaction score
Whats up with this stray connector near ignition coil on my 93 c1500 4.3 auto?
My truck is a 90 and had a plug like that for an rpm gauge, my moonie gauges didn’t have it so I added one. Not sure if that’s what yours is but kinda looks like the one I had

jeff1953

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why wont my damn truck idle under 1500 rpm? I am thinking a leak in the throttle body gasket am I on the right track? From what my buddy told me the truck doesn't really have any balls either. " I am in Iraq so I don't know" it is a 5.7 in a 94 silverado 4x4 with a 14 bolt rear. other than that everything else is stock mechanically.
does it have idle air control, throttle passion sensor, can't remember all that's on it.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The TBI has IAC (Idle Air Control), TPS (Throttle Position Sensor), MAP (Manifold Absolute Pressure), ESC (Electronic Spark Control), EGR (Exhaust Gas Recirculation), EST (Electronic Spark Timing), ICM (Ignition Control Module), CTS (Coolant Temp Sensor), and minimum idle screw (T25 head), any combination of which can contribute to your high idle issue. Get a scanner and data log what's going on during the high idle.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh yeah, check all of your grounds too. A bad ground can cause all kinds of issues. Check battery to fender, battery to block, block to frame strap (these can corrode and look like it's connected but will have high resistance), ground wires to T-stat housing (these are from the PCM).

bigfutz

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I keep getting these little puddles of oil on my intake manifold. Do I just need new valve cover gaskets or is there something more sinister happening?

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think your 2 center intake manifold bolts go into the oil galley next to the push rods. Try pulling one at a time and use PTFE sealant on the threads.