The Stupid Engine Questions Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bigfutz

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I think your 2 center intake manifold bolts go into the oil galley next to the push rods. Try pulling one at a time and use PTFE sealant on the threads.

Thanks, I’ll give that a try.

p.s. Your nice shiny photo makes me feel embarrassed of mine [emoji30]

Last edited:

bigfutz

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I think your 2 center intake manifold bolts go into the oil galley next to the push rods. Try pulling one at a time and use PTFE sealant on the threads.

Is there some magic in the PTFE, or will this high temperature thread sealant do the trick? My LAPS didn’t have PTFE.

Or should I use teflon plumbing tape?

(Remember, this is the Stupid Questions thread.)

You must be registered for see images attach

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That stuff will work, it's just more expensive. I went to Lowe's and bought a bottle of PTFE thread sealant which says it's good to 400*. I did all of my head (since almost all of them go into the water jacket) and intake bolts.

Andrew Pierce

Reaction score
I didn't know where else to post this, my question is: my truck cranked fine for a while, after completely rebuilding the top end head gaskets up. It finally started to catch, and when I let off and then try to start it after it failed to fire there's no cranking whatsoever. I know it's in time or at least very close to it and everything is where it should be. There is no trying from the starter whatsoever it still draws voltage just doesn't crank. Do you think it's the starter a bad connection or what? I should note I have the 4.3 TBI motor oh, it does have 265000 miles on clock.

bigfutz

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I didn't know where else to post this, my question is: my truck cranked fine for a while, after completely rebuilding the top end head gaskets up. It finally started to catch, and when I let off and then try to start it after it failed to fire there's no cranking whatsoever. I know it's in time or at least very close to it and everything is where it should be. There is no trying from the starter whatsoever it still draws voltage just doesn't crank. Do you think it's the starter a bad connection or what? I should note I have the 4.3 TBI motor oh, it does have 265000 miles on clock.

Confused... is the starter turning the engine over? If not, is the starter solenoid kicking in? If so, probably bad brushes (need starter or rebuild). Sometimes if you give the starter a whack with a hammer it will make the brushes jump a little. If that does the trick, drive it to the parts store and buy a starter - LEAVE IT RUNNING - then get home and replace it.

Ryan Moilanen

Reaction score
Hello y’all... I have a 99 k1500 5.7.. I want a new engine but can’t seem to find one that’s ca legal... was looking for a crate motor like jegs crate motor but says it’s not smog legal in ca.. don’t want to spend 2k and not be able to pass smog any help!

GarrettGmc

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hello y’all... I have a 99 k1500 5.7.. I want a new engine but can’t seem to find one that’s ca legal... was looking for a crate motor like jegs crate motor but says it’s not smog legal in ca.. don’t want to spend 2k and not be able to pass smog any help!

You could ask a local dealer. I looked online but had a local reputable shop order my block.

Mildphil

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Saw pic below (kodiak/topkick) at the junk yard and it got my mind going. How many of these parts can be transplanted onto a gmt400? I have a 7.4L and that fan+clutch looks enticing.

Also after doing some research, it seems that this truck has the same engine as me (7400 vortec) but with coil on plug ignition. I never even knew that was a thing with big blocks outside of the 8.1L.
Update: it seems this truck has the L21, I never knew the L29 had a tougher brother.

Last edited: