The Stupid Electronics Questions Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just bought a 2000 K2500. Does anyone know if the LMC heavy duty headlight harness, and 4 hi kit will work with my truck? Or if anyone has any other recommendations as for what would be available?

One can piece something like this together themselves without much work, but it does require a modest amount of familiarity / skill with a soldering iron (or crimp connectors, which some find acceptable), relays, wire and heat-shrink tubing.

Joel1996

Reaction score
Hello,
I have confusing problem with tail lights. In front everything works fine but in the back, nothing lights up expect when i turn the turn signal on no matter wich side both sides blink. Everything seems to be fine all the way to the firewall. Cant find any wiring go to the ground wich for me seems weird cause aftermarket wirings have two grounds in the back. Also 7 volts to 3 wires out of 4.
-from finland Joel ✌️

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    311.4 KB · Views: 5

Donald Mitchell

1990 C1500 5.7L
Reaction score
Hello,
I have confusing problem with tail lights. In front everything works fine but in the back, nothing lights up expect when i turn the turn signal on no matter wich side both sides blink. Everything seems to be fine all the way to the firewall. Cant find any wiring go to the ground wich for me seems weird cause aftermarket wirings have two grounds in the back. Also 7 volts to 3 wires out of 4.
-from finland Joel ✌️
Maybe this will help.

Attachments

• ac heat power window tailight.pdf
    61.9 KB · Views: 3

Donald Mitchell

1990 C1500 5.7L
Reaction score
I found I had replaced the hazard flasher instead of the turn. I now know which one it is but there's a catch holding it and cant seem to figure it out. Insight apprecieated .

Last edited:

Donald Mitchell

1990 C1500 5.7L
Reaction score
I found I had replaced the hazard flasher instead of the turn. I now know which one it is but there's a catch holding it and cant seem to figure it out. Insight apprecieated . I have another problem at least 3 years or longer. It's not very bad but After driving it for a while when I stop it has a slight surge to the idle. It never dies or has any problem accelerating. tbi has never been apart and TPS , Iac And Egr are original to the truck. when cold everything works as it should.
Ok, I got the flasher out. SOB was stuck, had to pry it out. I found it was the original made in canada. on to other issues.

Ruckusmax

Reaction score
I got a good stupid one, turn signals at the gauge cluster stay on but lights are off. When I hit the blinker and check with my power probe the ground is flashing. The light blue and dark blue show ground on my probe. Any ideas?

ThaEdge

Reaction score

Well here we go... I purchased an all original 1996 one owner C3500 crew cab long bed 7.4L (its like driving a bus). The interior was not kept up, the rest of the truck is nearly perfect! So there are some issues I'm currently working through. I fgured I would try to save some time and ask around on here before I dive in chasing gremlins.

Issue 1: AC compressor won't engage. The sellars mechanic replaced a lot of parts that were worn and old, cahrged the system etc. and got it working but then less than a week later it stopped working agian. the seller took it back and the mech changed the control panel. that fixed again but then about weeks later it stopped working again. in that 2 week period the sellers wife died and he didn't want to mess with it any more so he sold it, to me. any suggestions on where to start digging?

Issue 2: cruis control doesn't work. when I got the truck the seller said it was working but when I drove it it only worked intermitently shutting off after a random amount of time, now it wont engage at all. the steering colum apears to be new. the seller didn't menchon that specificaly. he did say that he had spent about 12g's on the truck in the last 2 years with the AC, frontend rebuild, tires, tune up, etc. I was thinking break switch. any ideas?

Uodate: I finaly got some time and found the AC issue! took all of 5 minutes... It has no refrigerant. No pressure on the high side or low side. If anything it had a slight vacuum. So... Now to evacuate and see if she'll hold a vacuum. Here's hoping the shop forgot to charge the system (I don't have my fingers crossed).

Well here we go... I purchased an all original 1996 one owner C3500 crew cab long bed 7.4L (its like driving a bus). The interior was not kept up, the rest of the truck is nearly perfect! So there are some issues I'm currently working through. I fgured I would try to save some time and ask around on here before I dive in chasing gremlins.

Issue 1: AC compressor won't engage. The sellars mechanic replaced a lot of parts that were worn and old, cahrged the system etc. and got it working but then less than a week later it stopped working agian. the seller took it back and the mech changed the control panel. that fixed again but then about weeks later it stopped working again. in that 2 week period the sellers wife died and he didn't want to mess with it any more so he sold it, to me. any suggestions on where to start digging?

Issue 2: cruis control doesn't work. when I got the truck the seller said it was working but when I drove it it only worked intermitently shutting off after a random amount of time, now it wont engage at all. the steering colum apears to be new. the seller didn't menchon that specificaly. he did say that he had spent about 12g's on the truck in the last 2 years with the AC, frontend rebuild, tires, tune up, etc. I was thinking break switch. any ideas?

Uodate: I finaly got some time and found the AC issue! took all of 5 minutes... It has no refrigerant. No pressure on the high side or low side. If anything it had a slight vacuum. So... Now to evacuate and see if she'll hold a vacuum. Here's hoping the shop forgot to charge the system (I don't have my fingers crossed).
Update;

So I fugured that the compressor had not been replaced. The "mechanic" that did the work charged labor and parts for a compressor but just cleaned the top side really well. It was leaking around the shaft seal.

The cruis control module is bad. I went through all the GM trouble shooting and everthing pointed to the CCM. That being said, I now need one. There's no aftermarket or reman for them and GM has discontinued the part. Any help would be appreciated. I will remove it and see if I can find an obvious issue but my knowledge of electronic components is less than ideal for this sort of thing.

RedneckWithPaychecks

454/350 x (4x4)²
Reaction score
Not big enough for a full thread; I'm going to put 2 door Yukon switches in my 94 but the driver switch broke today and I'm not ready to do the Blazer/Yukon switch conversion. I have square black switches I got from a 88 1500, do these fit in the slot for a 94?

here is the switch: https://www.ebay.com/itm/231999290285
You must be registered for see images attach

normal 94 switch : https://www.amazon.com/Dorman-901-014-Power-Window-Switch/dp/B000TYTSR8/ref=sr_1_7?crid=KOYL3HAOH0NW&keywords=1990+chevy+power+window&qid=1648607286&s=automotive&sprefix=1990+chevy+power+window,automotive,77&sr=1-7

Edit, link for the 88 switch isnt working, and added pictures

Last edited:

haroldwca

Reaction score
Not big enough for a full thread; I'm going to put 2 door Yukon switches in my 94 but the driver switch broke today and I'm not ready to do the Blazer/Yukon switch conversion. I have square black switches I got from a 88 1500, do these fit in the slot for a 94?

here is the switch: https://www.ebay.com/itm/231999290285

normal 94 switch : https://www.amazon.com/Dorman-901-014-Power-Window-Switch/dp/B000TYTSR8/ref=sr_1_7?crid=KOYL3HAOH0NW&keywords=1990+chevy+power+window&qid=1648607286&s=automotive&sprefix=1990+chevy+power+window,automotive,77&sr=1-7

Edit, link for the 88 switch isnt working, and added pictures
No, the switches are not interchangeable without changing out the switch housing panel, and those panels don't fit the opening in your current door panel.