The Stupid Electronics Questions Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RobMaier

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Okay, I have a (probably) stupid question. 1999 OBS K1500. I replaced all exterior lights with led's. Everything works as it should. I also replaced flasher with solid state model. Now the rub, when I turn on the park lights the instrument cluster signal indicators light up solid. When I use the turn signal the correct indicator blinks as it should. Any ideas would be appreciated.

FrankieD61

The Stooge Called Slappy: Slappy'sAutoService
Reaction score
On my 91, when I have the hazards on, and hit the brake the hazards stop flashing. Is there a fix for this?

Donald Mitchell

1990 C1500 5.7L
Reaction score
It needs a 50w 6ohm resistor between each turn signal (blue) wire and ground. I just went through this with mine. I tee in a wire to the blue wire pretty close to the turnsignal, Using a continuity tester to be sure I got the right one. I brought the new wire up behind the radiator support and mounted the resistor there and ground the other end, but you can mount it behind the parking light if you want. You need to mount the resistor to something metal like the radiator support for a heat sink. I didn't understand why this was needed with the led flasher already in place, but it was.

Attachments

• HPIM1333.JPG
    HPIM1333.JPG
    258.2 KB · Views: 7

FrankieD61

The Stooge Called Slappy: Slappy'sAutoService
Reaction score
It needs a 50w 6ohm resistor between each turn signal (blue) wire and ground. I just went through this with mine. I tee in a wire to the blue wire pretty close to the turnsignal, Using a continuity tester to be sure I got the right one. I brought the new wire up behind the radiator support and mounted the resistor there and ground the other end, but you can mount it behind the parking light if you want. You need to mount the resistor to something metal like the radiator support for a heat sink. I didn't understand why this was needed with the led flasher already in place, but it was.

Weird... Why is this needed? Is my flasher going bad?

Wh4t3v3rs

I got real bass!!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Weird... Why is this needed? Is my flasher going bad?
no, if you change over to LED's, then they don't show enough of a load on the flasher to work it. So you have to add the resistors inline to make up that load....

Wh4t3v3rs

I got real bass!!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is normal behavior. Your rear flashers (signals) and brake lights are on the same filament of the bulb. Brake lights are a little more important..

Richard
Im thinking im gonna disagree with that one. I believe when you turn your hazards on and hit the brakes, BOTH hazards and brakes work.......

Donald Mitchell

1990 C1500 5.7L
Reaction score
On the front I think the side marker has something to do with it. Brown from the park ligkts and blue from the turn signal wire, no ground, or floating ground.

Cadillac Bob

Slammin original 4x4 Cadillac doors!
Reaction score
I have led taillights and once in a while I’ll have to adjust that black brake module that quick snaps onto the brake pedal a ways up under the dash you might need replacing that than putting in a resistor? Not saying that other guy is wrong but I have to unsnap module an brakes light up again it’s the wiring old and just gets grumpy in same spot after a while lol. And or if you’ve used your E brake recently to turn off dlr’s then you need to push E brake pedal all way down then pull release and it will reset an brake lights will work like they should. I did the old trick of just on enough so light kicks on so we could drive through a farms Xmas light show without the headlights being on just turns n fogs . Then afterwards I noticed brake lights weren’t coming on so did both move module that didn’t work then did the E brake thang an presto! Hopefully this will help in someway lol.