The Stupid Axle Questions Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

White96k2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have a 1996 chevrolet silverado k2500 8lug 14 bolt semi floater with 4.10 gears and g80, what fluid do i need for the rear end And do i need a additive because of the g80? If so what is it called? Also what is the best gasket for the rear end?

Last edited:

GMCJeff

Reaction score
here's my dumb question: Can you swap out 5 lug axles for 6 lug axles ( 95 2WD RCSB) ?
Reason being... Wheel and tire options for the 5x5 are sparse for cheapskates like me I really want to go upt to 18 or 20" wheels.. I also know that somebody makes a 6 lug front brake hub swap. Thanks in advance, Jeff

Reaction score
I am afraid this question my be too dumb for this thread.

I have a noise that almost sounds like air being let out of a bike tire from the passenger side of the engine compartment that I can hear after I shut the engine off. I am wondering if anyone can point me in the right direction? Thanks

CW73

Reaction score
I am afraid this question my be too dumb for this thread.

I have a noise that almost sounds like air being let out of a bike tire from the passenger side of the engine compartment that I can hear after I shut the engine off. I am wondering if anyone can point me in the right direction? Thanks

Not really an axle question.. but it's most likely your AC pressure equalizing. This is especially noticeable on pre-96 modles.

CW73

Reaction score
I have a 1996 chevrolet silverado k2500 8lug 14 bolt semi floater with 4.10 gears and g80, what fluid do i need for the rear end And do i need a additive because of the g80? If so what is it called? Also what is the best gasket for the rear end?
I have the same rear.. 4.10, Gov-loc, semi 9.5. I run non synthetic 80w 90 no additive. Felpro gasket. Works great for me.

RoJo2

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Forgive me if this has been asked before... I made it to post 24 of 660ish before I just decided to ask.

I’m about to install a Truetrac in a JY SF 14 bolt. Once I open it up I’ll know more about the condition of the rear gears but what I was wondering is opinions on whether I should buy all new bearings and seals or just change the diff and let it eat? I don’t plan on changing gear unless it’s broke and from what little I’ve messed with it, I don’t believe it is. I guess... what am I risking by not replacing everything but the gears and axels?

Thanks,
Rob

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CW73

Reaction score
You'll have to use new carrier bearings, but if the pinion and axle bearings are good I'd run them. 9.5s are pretty robust. I put an 03 HD 9.5 rear in my 98.. swapped in a used 4:10 gear set and cut the Gov-loc weight. The bearings looked great. Been running it a couple years now. I'm kinda a cheap ass though lol

FarmTrok

Reaction score
Is it possible for me to put a 98 K1500 rear end (the whole thing) on my 92 C1500? I know the K1500 is wider but will it all still bolt up? Anyone done this before? Im trying to do a 5 lug to 6 lug swap and have a K1500 rear end already.