The Official Vortec 454 Info thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

smokymtn65

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Quick question, anyone had an injector push out of fuel rail? clip was on correctly been putting a few miles on. happened sitting in drive thankfully. little unnerving due to the amount of gas that flooded the engine compartment and driveway. I possible had pinched or rolled a the o-ring during install, don't think so but looking for a reason. injectors seem short for the space between rail and intake on these trucks.

Christian Steffen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hmmm - what's causing the high IATs? Probably more hot air coming through the radiator, huh?

I wonder if an aftermarket open air cleaner will get hotter under the same conditions? FWIU pretty much everyone says yes.

It seems the OE CAI is somewhat restrictive in more high performance applications so, the open air cleaner should give you better performance unless, you get hotter air which may defeat the gain in air flow? What if someone logged IAT and MAP with both systems at harder pulls and/or WOT at different speeds? I don't have an IAT sensor - yet, but I've been wondering how much of a difference it would make?

Does this make any sense?:confused:

When I was NA, I logged plenty of WOT pulls monitoring MAP and I really didn't see a significant drop in pressure at higher rpm with the stock intake, iirc 2-3 kpa. I'll go back and look for some logs when I have time.

rpoL98

Reaction score
Quick question, anyone had an injector push out of fuel rail? clip was on correctly been putting a few miles on. happened sitting in drive thankfully. little unnerving due to the amount of gas that flooded the engine compartment and driveway. I possible had pinched or rolled a the o-ring during install, don't think so but looking for a reason. injectors seem short for the space between rail and intake on these trucks.
i've had that symptom happen, but it turns out I did roll the O-ring on installation. the gas flood showed up immediately as soon as I primed the fuel pump, not delayed after a few miles.

smokymtn65

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
i've had that symptom happen, but it turns out I did roll the O-ring on installation. the gas flood showed up immediately as soon as I primed the fuel pump, not delayed after a few miles.
Ok, like I said I have put maybe 15 miles on it before it did it. Last time after i fixed to push rod guides my test run was 43 miles (one way) to work.. little leery about doing that at the moment. LOL I think may make heap big fire..

yevgenievich

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Apparently TPI takes small spacers to work with bosch injectors to increase length. Otherwise I believe standard height is 60mm.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
When I was NA, I logged plenty of WOT pulls monitoring MAP and I really didn't see a significant drop in pressure at higher rpm with the stock intake, iirc 2-3 kpa. I'll go back and look for some logs when I have time.

I think my observation was closer to 5. It started 2-3 around 3000 RPM and I think peaked around 5 by 5000. Opening the lid and subsequently removing the filter pretty much alleviated this, so that tells me the tract upstream of the filter isn't a problem.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Opening the lid and subsequently removing the filter pretty much alleviated this, so that tells me the tract upstream of the filter isn't a problem.
By opening the lid you gained 5 kpa, do you think you'll gain performance, with more air flow, or will you lose some due to hotter, less dense, air?:confused:

Christian Steffen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I think my observation was closer to 5. It started 2-3 around 3000 RPM and I think peaked around 5 by 5000. Opening the lid and subsequently removing the filter pretty much alleviated this, so that tells me the tract upstream of the filter isn't a problem.

Just went and checked a couple old logs, looks like 4 kpa was pretty standard with a peak of 5 on one or two. So looks like my memory fails me lol

FWIW no significant IAT increases were experienced during the pulls, <5*.

smokymtn65

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Apparently TPI takes small spacers to work with bosch injectors to increase length. Otherwise I believe standard height is 60mm.
I see Summit offer a number of different lengths. I will be digging deeper into this for sure. Not a fan of 4 wheel fireballs!