The Official Vortec 454 Info thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Christian Steffen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks all for the feedback and assistance as HP Tuners/ 0411 swap is new territory for me. It makes sense that Lextech gives you the base parameters and since every truck is different/ mods/ etc. it is up to you to fine tune. He did say it will fire up and idle so that is good! From there I will data log and post spark and fuel tables as it seems you guys have tons of experience dialing these 454 vortecs in.

I am just excited for the expandability and finer settings available by swapping in the 0411 unit. Being a 96, my truck is on the cusp of the OBD2 switch and definitely has some "quirks and features" as doug would say.

We'll get ya going on it. If you need layout files for the scanner lemme know, i can send you one

RichardSwinger

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've been poking around here and other forums and haven't found a definitive answer. Is there a confirmed long tube header set that is in current production that will fit on a 2500 4x4? If not, I have read that people are happy with the gibson short tube headers (and that they need some trimming to clear something on the heads?). When looking at the gibson website it has two models: with or without "air injection", what the heck does that mean and how do I know which one I need? I'm guessing it's talking about EGR but that would be a pricey thing to guess wrong on. As I've said before, I appreciate you guys!

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

ZRoe

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The AIR Injection system is almost exclusively for CA emissions vehicles. It is a belt driven pump that pushes fresh air into the exhaust manifolds until the Catylitic converters are warmed up.

On ocassion I have seen the AIR headers for cheaper than regular. It is just an extra bung welded on the front most tube. You can plug it with an NPT plug from a local hardware store but I forget the correct size.

Hope that helps

Sent from my moto g stylus using Tapatalk

RichardSwinger

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Interesting thing I noticed today when installing the HD headlight harness I got from @5vortec7 I think this tunnel underneath the passenger side headlights is where the intake gets it's suction from. I know the air box has a tube that goes off into the fender but could never figure out where it went from there. I guess there's plastic tubing that runs all the way here. Not exactly an open/direct flow of air, but it probably flows up from under the bumper easily enough. Would ya look at that... A 1998 truck with an OEM true cold air intake. Cool.
You must be registered for see images attach

Christian Steffen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Interesting thing I noticed today when installing the HD headlight harness I got from @5vortec7 I think this tunnel underneath the passenger side headlights is where the intake gets it's suction from. I know the air box has a tube that goes off into the fender but could never figure out where it went from there. I guess there's plastic tubing that runs all the way here. Not exactly an open/direct flow of air, but it probably flows up from under the bumper easily enough. Would ya look at that... A 1998 truck with an OEM true cold air intake. Cool.

It works pretty well at highway speed too. I really never have understood the cold air intake craze, especially on newer trucks. The 2014 silverado I had stayed within 1* of ambient on the IAT sensor once I was moving.

JSlezak83

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It works pretty well at highway speed too. I really never have understood the cold air intake craze, especially on newer trucks. The 2014 silverado I had stayed within 1* of ambient on the IAT sensor once I was moving.

I’ve noticed IATs within a few degrees of ambient at about 35mph. Once stopped though, IATs quickly climbed to 15-20* above ambient. That was at idle. I wonder if there is just not enough airflow to keep the IATs cool. I’ll have to monitor that to see how long it take to cool back down.

Christian Steffen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I’ve noticed IATs within a few degrees of ambient at about 35mph. Once stopped though, IATs quickly climbed to 15-20* above ambient. That was at idle. I wonder if there is just not enough airflow to keep the IATs cool. I’ll have to monitor that to see how long it take to cool back down.

Yeah, once you slow down or stop heat soak takes over. Really anything other than highway driving will probably see an increase in IATs. A "cold air" intake won't help with low speed IATs though, imo.

JSlezak83

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I ran a log today. Climbed a pretty good hill with my camper hitched at about 45mph, and at the top of the hill, IATs were pushing 115* with ambients in the 70s. It was enough to kick in the fan clutch, so it got warm.

A few miles down the road, at a steady 50-55mph, here’s where I was sitting.