the brakes are pissing me off

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mrnapolean1

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Brakes worked great before I had to break the system to replace rear end.

I have bled this 5+ times and I have solid fluid coming from all four wheels. The parking brake doesn't work, Drum brakes are pissing me off now....

Horns

Tiff's Wedding Crasher
Reaction score
You drive a 400. Your brakes probably never did work that great, just a lot better than they do now. I've got almost no rear brake in my truck. Needs a serious overhaul.

What year is your truck?

Keepinitoldskool

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Brakes worked great before I had to break the system to replace rear end.

I have bled this 5+ times and I have solid fluid coming from all four wheels. The parking brake doesn't work, Drum brakes are pissing me off now....
What year model? You might have air trapped inside the abs.

ccreddell

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Check your proportioning valve. Theres a check ball or something in them that can get stuck in the wrong position when you open up the rear. I dont recall all I knew about it at one time but maybe do a search....

sgtpoliteness

Reaction score
Adjust the rear shoes until the wheel starts to drag and then back off, I think, 20 clicks. That'll get it close.

I had to power bleed, manual bleed and then run the output on the ABS several times each until I got it right. That was after replacing my master cylinder. Now, they're actually pretty acceptable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Keepinitoldskool

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Truck is a 1992 GMC C1500 extended cab with a 350 TBI.
You still have air in the lines or you rears need adjusting. Adjust them out till the drum drags a little then back them off a few clicks, I wouldnt go 20 but maybe 10. Also some good brand shoes have a leading shoe and a trailing shoe with tapers if they are not oriented right then performance will suffer.

mrnapolean1

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Best way to adjust?

People say to put it into reverse and tap the brake pedal.....

Or am I doing it wrong?