Texas Roll Call!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TexasRebel

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Good to hear from you, I was wondering how you were doing.
I still think the Conroe swap meet would be a good place and time to get together. Last weekend of October, Montgomery County Fairgrounds. I haven't booked my space yet, but I'm planning on being up there all weekend with Rawhide and the family.
I haven't been as active on here in a while as I used to be. Picked up that 94 GMC and a 68 F250 in the last couple weeks. Gonna hopefully get a new battery in the 94 this weekend and see about getting it fired up. Waiting on a friend with a truck and trailer to move my 96 up here. Gonna swap the wheels and tires off of it for now as the setup on the 94 is pretty dry rotted and brand new tires aren't quite in the budget at the moment.

Attachments

• 20230611_153213.jpg
    20230611_153213.jpg
    322.2 KB · Views: 4
  • 20230611_173020.jpg
    20230611_173020.jpg
    314.3 KB · Views: 4

Stepbyrd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
San Antonio Area.

1998 c1500 Silverado and just picked up a 1999 k1500 Suburban.

The 98 just needs a little tlc. It’s my wife’s truck. she inherited it when her Dad passed.

The 99 is a different story. It’s going to take a lot of work. I’ve only had it a few weeks but I’m still finding things.

Current list of repairs:
AC hasn’t worked in 7+ years and the connections are corroded.
Radio has been upgraded w/ subwoofer that randomly works.
Passenger window won’t roll down.
Passenger rear door won’t open. I’ve narrowed it down to a jammed lock. Drive rear door has a broken door handle.
Both rear doors need new window switches. They can be controlled from front drivers switch so I can at least roll down windows.
4x4 doesn’t work. Switch backlights work but indicator lights don’t. Pops fuse as soon as I turn on switch.
Has 35’s with a 3” suspension lift. Front tires rub on turns. Haven’t decided how to handle this.

That’s my list so far. let the fun begin. :)

Attachments

• IMG_4325.png
    IMG_4325.png
    562.8 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_4326.png
    IMG_4326.png
    822.4 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_0534.jpeg
    IMG_0534.jpeg
    143.7 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_3079.jpeg
    IMG_3079.jpeg
    364.1 KB · Views: 4

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum, from just down I-10 a bit in Houston.... this evening I was working on the blower motor in my crew cab. Too frickin hot to not have AC....

Stepbyrd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum, from just down I-10 a bit in Houston.... this evening I was working on the blower motor in my crew cab. Too frickin hot to not have AC....
Tell me about it. The morning drive isn’t so bad but the afternoon drive is brutal.

I’ve got the parts to replace the condenser (it has a hole in it), all of the front hoses, compressor, and orafice tube. I got all the connections loose except the lower one on the evaporator. It’s firmly stuck.

TexasRebel

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
To anyone who claims that summer is better than winter, you're wrong and you should feel bad. Just came back inside from attempting to wash the truck and said screw it after only rinsing it off. It is currently 106* with a feels like of 117* at my house. No wind either. It's brutal. I'll take 30* over this any day.

Road Trip

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
To anyone who claims that summer is better than winter, you're wrong and you should feel bad. Just came back inside from attempting to wash the truck and said screw it after only rinsing it off. It is currently 106* with a feels like of 117* at my house. No wind either. It's brutal. I'll take 30* over this any day.

Greetings TexasRebel,

Right now as I type this in it's 71° and partly-cloudy up here in the finger lakes region of upstate NY.
I love the weather up here. I love all 4 seasons here. But I hate the rust. And I detest the corrupt,
power-hungry uniparty state of NY government.

And I say this as only an older dude who was born in Ft. Worth, TX back when Eisenhower was
president can. Man, I wish that upstate & downstate NY would split it in 2. Downstate
could continue down their chosen path, and upstate would end up with a Texas style system of
government? It would be the best of all worlds. One can dream. :0)

Seriously, I still remember the Casa Manana. And the giant Reddy Kilowatt that used to adorn
the side of the electric power plant off of Spur-303. And Tex at the State Fair. Tons of memories,
all of them good. And yeah, as a kid I remember how hot it was. Working on my bicycle, one of
my earliest lessons was that if I left the hand tools in the sun, they became too hot to touch. :0)

Anyway, overall color me jealous whenever I see fellow Texans doing their Texas thing...

Stay as cool as possible!

"The stars at night are big & bright..."

Attachments

• ReddyKilowattatHandleyPlant.jpg
    ReddyKilowattatHandleyPlant.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 5

HotWheelsBurban

Reaction score
Tell me about it. The morning drive isn’t so bad but the afternoon drive is brutal.

I’ve got the parts to replace the condenser (it has a hole in it), all of the front hoses, compressor, and orafice tube. I got all the connections loose except the lower one on the evaporator. It’s firmly stuck.
If you can get to it with some PB Blaster, that's what I would soak it with. Let it sit a half hour or so, and hopefully it will come loose. That stuff works wonders....

TexasRebel

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Greetings TexasRebel,

Right now as I type this in it's 71° and partly-cloudy up here in the finger lakes region of upstate NY.
I love the weather up here. I love all 4 seasons here. But I hate the rust. And I detest the corrupt,
power-hungry uniparty state of NY government.

And I say this as only an older dude who was born in Ft. Worth, TX back when Eisenhower was
president can. Man, I wish that upstate & downstate NY would split it in 2. Downstate
could continue down their chosen path, and upstate would end up with a Texas style system of
government? It would be the best of all worlds. One can dream. :0)

Seriously, I still remember the Casa Manana. And the giant Reddy Kilowatt that used to adorn
the side of the electric power plant off of Spur-303. And Tex at the State Fair. Tons of memories,
all of them good. And yeah, as a kid I remember how hot it was. Working on my bicycle, one of
my earliest lessons was that if I left the hand tools in the sun, they became too hot to touch. :0)

Anyway, overall color me jealous whenever I see fellow Texans doing their Texas thing...

Stay as cool as possible!

"The stars at night are big & bright..."
71 in August?! Now I'm the jealous one. I know what you mean about the rust up there. I have a friend that lives in the Goshen, NY area and some of the cars he drags home make me glad that we don't get rust like that very often down here besides the cars that stay right on the coast.

HotWheelsBurban

Reaction score
They haven't experienced Texas summers yet....

Road Trip

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
71 in August?! Now I'm the jealous one. I know what you mean about the rust up there. I have a friend that lives in the Goshen, NY area and some of the cars he drags home make me glad that we don't get rust like that very often down here besides the cars that stay right on the coast.

Like your friend I've brought my fair share of rust-free vehicles back to NY/New England
in order to stretch my income to meet my outgo. FWIW in my vehicle build thread you
can see what passes for a clean truck up here. And I threw in some photos of the rusty
warriors still on the road in order to give some proper rust belt context. (LINK)

Enjoy. And be sure to count all those lucky stars in the Texas night sky.

Who knows? Maybe I'll get to return to the promised land some day. With hot-rodded
maxed-out air conditioning in everything! :)

Last edited: