Temp gauge

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dylan88

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
My temperature gauge has been going pretty high but engine /rad doesn't seem to be very hot to the touch. Its a 88 silverado 1500 5.7. Was sitting a few years. I was thinking of doing the new thermostat and temp sensor. Is the only temp sensor on the 88 beside the housing?

Dylan88

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Should I do both sensors ? Do you have the part number handy

Dylan88

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I noticed the wire is rotten and some bare showing maybe that's why. Is it hard to replace or where's it run too? Thanks for the help.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There's a difference, there's a sensor for a temp gauge, and there's a sender for the base model W/T idiot light. Make sure you get the correct one.
When it's me, I use the word "sensor" for computer-related items, "Sending unit" for gauges, and "Switch" for idiot lights.

In the days before computer controls, "sending unit" (variable resistance for a gauge) and "switch" (on-off, for a dash light) were the typical terms. "Sensor" came into vogue along with the on-board computers in the early-'80s.

I noticed the wire is rotten and some bare showing maybe that's why. Is it hard to replace or where's it run too? Thanks for the help.
If this were me, I'd cut it back to "good" wire/insulation, and just splice new wire from there.

There's a whole thread about wire splicing:

God bless Western Union, Crimps, Solder, and heat-shrink tubing with adhesive inside.