Solder vs crimps

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tommy1234

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My buddy Joe helped me fix a piror butcher hack job. The old head unit was install with tape and twist ( I disposed of the works and got a new pigtail plug better than scotch locks I guess ) . So Joe installed the harness with the red crimps and tape.
Been wonder what is everyone's preferences for wiring.
I heard about solder wicking into the wires and the weak points of the connection ( vibrations and movement)
Crimps are mechanical bond.
Then there is the Western Union splicing method twist and solder (nasa proven that one is a srong bond)

Tommy1234

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The dealer uses crimps as part of the head light harness recall on the Sorentos

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hands down.... solder and shrink wrap. Butt connectors can be prone to corrosion within the joint. Either way support the harness/work you did to keep from flexing as best as possible. Zip ties/loom, etc. Wiring done with butt connectors is more prone to fraying at the end of the connector.

98chevy2500SS

Specializes in Accessories 101
Reaction score
I like to use both at certain times. In tight spaces, I use butt connectors. More open spaces like headlight connectors and other exterior stuff, solder + heat shrink. Make sure to get the butt connectors with the heat shrink built in as open ended butt connectors are susceptible to corrosion.

I despise people who twist wires together and tape them together without any sort of solder or crimp connection, it's a potential fire hazard. That, and scotch locks are awful as well...

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The dealer uses crimps as part of the head light harness recall on the Sorentos
We're not even allowed to use them as part of the collision repair process at this point in time. What people don't understand is that crimp connectors add resistance to a line which might throw a dash light on a late model where the computer monitors light bulb function nevermind 5v sensor circuits. Crimps are a bad habit.

They don't always do things right at the dealer either but alot will depend on the vehicle in question.

Last edited:

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Another option
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

You can also add heat shrink to them.

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Another option

You can also add heat shrink to them.
No, no, no lol

Buy a soldering iron/gun and a roll of shrink wrap and be done buying little gizmo's forever. lol How bulky the repair is, sometimes matters.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No, no, no lol

Buy a soldering iron/gun and a roll of shrink wrap and be done buying little gizmo's forever lol
Not saying they’re for everything, but they have their place. Also, this discussion has come up in a few Atv forums. A much harsher environment. I was always in the solder camp myself but from some very knowledgeable people there is a very compelling case for crimping. Almost all motor vehicle connections are crimped. And it’s not just because it’s cheaper, there’s more to it than that.

AuroraGirl

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
We're not even allowed to use them as part of the collision repair process at this point in time. What people don't understand is that crimp connectors add resistance to a line which might throw a dash light on a late model where the computer monitors light bulb function nevermind 5v sensor circuits. Crimps are a bad habit.

They don't always do things right at the dealer either but alot will depend on the vehicle in question.
Crimp connectors are a very large category you cant just dismiss, because you wanna get down and dirty then you will have people in here telling you about aviation and nasa stuff where you would be an idiot to solder your connections lol!

They sell crimp connectors without the wrap around them. They also sell the proper crimping tools. They also sell marine grade shrink tubing with epoxy that seals them at the ends

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

Also, who’s crimping is as important.