Solder vs crimps

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Matt98

Reaction score
I generally solder wires. I find it just gives you a more clean look when you're trying to wrap harnesses. Not only that, but it is a lot cheaper than quality connectors. When I do crimp, the biggest thing is to make sure you're using a half decent tool that is capable of crimping them as tight as possible. Generally the crimp on connectors with heat shrink are the best, but if I don't have those I usually take the casing off the connector and crimp it, then heat shrink over it and it provides a fine connection. Those crimp on connectors were never designed to be used on their own and are actually supposed to be sealed up. This also keeps the vibration factor to a minimum. Generally, I also wrap all the wires in the harness i've repaired back up in tape, and again it helps support it. Keep in mind that from the manufacturer, the pins in all the connectors are crimped, not soldered. If I'm attaching like a ring terminal or something I usually crimp them, then put a drop of solder on the end of it and then heatshrink. Soldering would be better if you're splicing multiple wires, or attaching different gauges of wiring. As long as it is all done proper and tight.