Temp gauge operation

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kenh

I see nothing I hear nothing
Reaction score
Because I'm new....

I had to buy a complete moonie gauge cluster to get a working temp gauge. I just swapped in the "new" gauge and now I have a working temp gauge.

My question is... When I engage the starter the temp gauge "slams" over full scale. The other gauges do not do this.

Is this normal or a defect of the gauge or the PC board part of the cluster?

Thanks!

Ken

AK49BWL

GMT400 Forever!
Reaction score
It's normal operation. The temp gauge is wired to the "Bulb Check" function of the ignition switch, which grounds out just slightly before engaging the starter. On later trucks, they wired the brake warning indicator to that instead.

kenh

Reaction score
I'll be watching this thread as my temp gage acts up. It doesn't read at all in run position?

It's normal operation. The temp gauge is wired to the "Bulb Check" function of the ignition switch, which grounds out just slightly before engaging the starter. On later trucks, they wired the brake warning indicator to that instead.

My gauge would act the same as your's redraptor. Occasionally it would work for a period of time. I think the record was two days! haha. Mostly it did not work at all.

Thanks for the explanation AK49BWL! It's nice to know that GM does some weird things......

Ken

kenh

Reaction score
moonie gaugecluster? I’ve been looking for a replacement. Where did you get yours please?

A guy about 50 miles from me was parting out a truck. Got the cluster and a new glove box door. He still has a lot of interior stuff left . It's red if that makes a difference.

Ken