Mirror/Temp Compass Operational, Blank Temp

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

barns

Reaction score
Hey everyone!

I have a ‘99 K1500 SLT Suburban with the Electrochromic mirror Temp/Compass combo. Recently my Ambient Temp Gauge stopped working, not an ‘OC’ or ‘SC’ Code, just a blank screen.
You must be registered for see images attach

When I turn on the vehicle, the display works as intended, showing all the possible segments that can light up, including °F and °C. Compass and dimmer work too.

You must be registered for see images attach

I ended up testing the ambient temp sensor which was at 15k ohm at 60°F (bad) and after replacing the sensor, the ambient temp gauge did not return. Voltage at the sensor is 5V with complete continuity.

Beginning to believe it’s the mirror itself, but it still powers on display, dimmer, and compass.

I would suspect the remote start could be causing issues, however the system was installed 3 years ago without issues since, this issue actually began with a jumpstart, as my batteries are both dead (I’ve been lagging behind on batteries)

I’m starting to pull my hair out. Any help would be much appreciated!

barns

Reaction score
You've pushed the temp button, right?
It says “Newbie” on my rank but I’m not that new lol. First photo is what it looks like after pressing “Comp” to deselect compass and “temp” to select temperature. Holding the button doesn’t allow changing temp units either.
Temp button just turns the Dimmer indicator LED on and off.

AK49BWL

GMT400 Forever!
Reaction score
I don't remember how to switch between Compass and Temp on those, I upgraded mine to a GMT800 style that shows both at the same time. Same connector, plug and play swap.

618 Syndicate

You won't...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It says “Newbie” on my rank but I’m not that new lol. First photo is what it looks like after pressing “Comp” to deselect compass and “temp” to select temperature. Holding the button doesn’t allow changing temp units either.
Temp button just turns the Dimmer indicator LED on and off.
I figured, but you never know. I've owned these trucks since they were new and I still skip obvious stuff sometimes.

barns

Reaction score
I don't remember how to switch between Compass and Temp on those, I upgraded mine to a GMT800 style that shows both at the same time. Same connector, plug and play swap.
I think I’ll go with the swap, I saw a few posts on this in the forum so I’ll go do some research on this-it’s also the last thing that would need replacing before wire chasing. I’ve seen it’s an upgrade too, since Compass and Temperature can display simultaneously.

As for switching between C/T, you would just need to turn one off (hit temp/comp) before selecting the other button.

Time to hit the salvage yard. Thanks everyone