Tbi 350 to Vortec 350

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Blanco_obs

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Okay I’ve been doing some digging. I was gonna 5.3 swap my truck but eh. I rather just got a 350 block. Now my question is my buddy has a old school carbureted one laying round. Mine is a tbi 350 on a 95 Silverado. Now I’ve looked at the Vortec conversion and some say go to the junk yard and grab 2 heads and slap em on. Others say you have to drill a hole. I also heard well read that the intake manifold also needs to be replaced and depending fuel system buy an adaptor or not. Now my other question is cam. This is my daily to work and back. And not looking for huge numbers. I honestly want a nice lobe at idle and maybe a little more gain. I know comp cam sells a 350 flat tapet cam and stuff for 361. Idk the part number. But I’m looking for honest suggestions and anyone who can give me advise in laymen's terms. I’m new to this hole v8 engine stuff. Thanks in advance

You must be registered for see images attach

Trigger_guard

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ok, well I'll answer what I can.

First. Vortec heads use a different bolt pattern for the intake. So vortec heads need a vortec style intake. As far as I know you don't need to drill anything. Vortec heads also have a much smaller combustion chamber than the tbi ones so double check your compression.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Blanco_obs

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ok, well I'll answer what I can.

First. Vortec heads use a different bolt pattern for the intake. So vortec heads need a vortec style intake. As far as I know you don't need to drill anything. Vortec heads also have a much smaller combustion chamber than the tbi ones so double check your compression.

I planned on leaving the bottom end stock. But I’ll double check

Trigger_guard

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Something else to keep in mind. Factory vortec heads are only good for about .450 lift. They also use self aligning rocker arms.

Are you swapping the whole system. Ecm and everything?

b454rat

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That cam you listed is gonna be pretty rowdy in a 350. I had one in a 406 and was rough. Sounded awesome tho hahah

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You will have to put a Vortec-specific manifold on it.

Option 1 is a Vortec-specific TBI manifold. With a cam swap you'll need to re-tune the TBI, and that will require a gauge adapater, a fuel pressure adjustment kit, and you'll probably want the TBI spacer as well, not to mention spending $400 on a programmable ECU if you don't have a tuner nearby. All said and done, you're looking at about $1000.

Option 2 is to use a mildly-expensive Vortec square-bore manifold and a TBI adapter - about $800.

Option 3 is to use a mildly-expensive Vortec square-bore manifold with a return-style fuel pressure regulator and a carburetor - about $400 if you don't already have at least three carburetors laying around.

Option 4 is a Holley Sniper on a Vortec manifold - about $1200 including the price of a manifold and a couple AN fittings. If you look hard enough you can save about $200 on the price of a Sniper and get it down to about a grand.

Blanco_obs

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Something else to keep in mind. Factory vortec heads are only good for about .450 lift. They also use self aligning rocker arms.

Are you swapping the whole system. Ecm and everything?

I don’t know exactly I know some just swap the heads and intake and call it a day. I was considering that option. Or possibly even going carburetor. But then again I rather stay fuel injected

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

b454rat

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
With that big a cam in a 350, it would be a ***** to tune. Inless swapping to a carb....