TBI 350 to TBI 454 swap?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LVJJJ

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I suggest a 383 stroker that should be a direct swap. Sure was for me in k1500. Used to did have a 454 in an '88 Suburban. I find that the 383 has more power and torque. The 454 was strangled by small valves and low compression. Had to add things like headers, double air intake, MSD adjustable timing control, hot MSD coil, and Doug Nash underdrive.

24 Karat Brown

Completely Broke
Reaction score
I suggest a 383 stroker that should be a direct swap. Sure was for me in k1500. Used to did have a 454 in an '88 Suburban. I find that the 383 has more power and torque. The 454 was strangled by small valves and low compression. Had to add things like headers, double air intake, MSD adjustable timing control, hot MSD coil, and Doug Nash underdrive.
I don’t want to do a 383 simply because I don’t have the skills to build a motor nor money. Plus 383 builds are so common compared to 454, I’ve never personally seen a 454 swapped RCSB

Godholio

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
There are reasons for that.

The TBI L19 is kind of the red headed stepchild of the big block chevys. There's not much out there tailored for the Gen V, so for performance you're limited to custom work or things designed for other (mostly older) versions. If your goal is to go for power, I recommend just skipping this motor. This is the engine you want if you need to haul heavy stuff until the end of the world. By the time you get to the amount of power you want, you'll have spent enough money to have 600hp from a small block and you'll have an extra 100-150 lbs of weight over the front axle in your short bed pickup.

I totally get the desire to have a big block. If you're dead set on that, I'd either find a better one to start with or start planning out the build very carefully. I have a feeling this is going to cost a lot more than you think, and backtracking is going to hurt a lot.

24 Karat Brown

Completely Broke
Reaction score
There are reasons for that.

The TBI L19 is kind of the red headed stepchild of the big block chevys. There's not much out there tailored for the Gen V, so for performance you're limited to custom work or things designed for other (mostly older) versions. If your goal is to go for power, I recommend just skipping this motor. This is the engine you want if you need to haul heavy stuff until the end of the world. By the time you get to the amount of power you want, you'll have spent enough money to have 600hp from a small block and you'll have an extra 100-150 lbs of weight over the front axle in your short bed pickup.

I totally get the desire to have a big block. If you're dead set on that, I'd either find a better one to start with or start planning out the build very carefully. I have a feeling this is going to cost a lot more than you think, and backtracking is going to hurt a lot.

Ill be honest, I just really like the valve covers on the OBS 454s lol. I can find a 454 all day long, I just want one that I can make 450hp+ with reliably. I will do a carb swap on my existing 350 to get the wiring already taken care of.

TagAllen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The tps wire could potentially be the same depending on the year. The IAC If I recall correctly you can buy a adapter wire for. When I did this I had to extend the oil pressure sensor wires. If the 454 is from a 94 or 95 you will need a bigger fuel pump.

Godholio

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ill be honest, I just really like the valve covers on the OBS 454s lol. I can find a 454 all day long, I just want one that I can make 450hp+ with reliably. I will do a carb swap on my existing 350 to get the wiring already taken care of.

If you don't have the money to get that from a SBC, you definitely don't have the money to do it with a big block. A set of decent aluminum heads for these engines is two grand. Of course you can root around for a set of ok iron heads from a car 30 years older and save a few hundred bucks maybe after having them checked and repaired.

Plan it out first. Get a ballpark dollar amount in your head and see if it's really the direction you want to go. If so, absolutely go for it and post a project thread with tons of pictures. I still think I'd avoid a Gen V block for this just because of the occasional oddity that makes it different from other blocks.

Edit: To add onto the fuel pump comment above, I'd just go with the EP381. It's for a Vortec but works well with these engines and gives plenty of pressure. I just replaced the dying pump in my 95 and the extra $20 gives me peace of mind and room to upgrade the rest of the engine without worrying about starving it of fuel.

24 Karat Brown

Completely Broke
Reaction score
If you don't have the money to get that from a SBC, you definitely don't have the money to do it with a big block. A set of decent aluminum heads for these engines is two grand. Of course you can root around for a set of ok iron heads from a car 30 years older and save a few hundred bucks maybe after having them checked and repaired.

Plan it out first. Get a ballpark dollar amount in your head and see if it's really the direction you want to go. If so, absolutely go for it and post a project thread with tons of pictures. I still think I'd avoid a Gen V block for this just because of the occasional oddity that makes it different from other blocks.

Edit: To add onto the fuel pump comment above, I'd just go with the EP381. It's for a Vortec but works well with these engines and gives plenty of pressure. I just replaced the dying pump in my 95 and the extra $20 gives me peace of mind and room to upgrade the rest of the engine without worrying about starving it of fuel.

Then if thats the case, is it cheaper to build a 383? I want to make 400-500hp for sure but dont know what the best way to go is. I do not want to LS swap, I'm tired of seeing them.

Godholio

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
After trying to find affordable parts to build up my 454, I think a 383 is quite a bit cheaper. But do your own research, you might find something I didn't. I'd love to be wrong on this.

Zozo509

Reaction score
So I have c1500 with a nv3500 mated to a 305. I have a friend with a 454 I just want to know will it mate mate my nv3500. Please help! I went through this tread and really couldn’t find an answer.