Tailgate hinges??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

88GMCtruck

I'm all 8-Luggy!
Reaction score
Auburn, Wa: From Covington, Wa: Albion, Wa: Pullma
My 88 came with tailgate straps obviously, and when i had my 99 I swapped it to the older style straps instead of the cables. I've seen too many cables break with 300-400 LBS on the tailgate, never seen a strap break. The cables have a higher probability of failing if the cable coating is damaged and corrosion gets to it, or the ends pull apart. Just don't see that happening with straps.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
My 88 came with tailgate straps obviously, and when i had my 99 I swapped it to the older style straps instead of the cables. I've seen too many cables break with 300-400 LBS on the tailgate, never seen a strap break. The cables have a higher probability of failing if the cable coating is damaged and corrosion gets to it, or the ends pull apart. Just don't see that happening with straps.

True. Most of the ones I've had have break were right where they bend when the tailgate is closed. My black truck has 4 nice long dents across the width.
Old story. Helping someone move. Numbnutz helper goon opens the tailgate & just lets it drop. Both cables snap.
Thank yoooouuu!

///RAGMC

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
There was a recall for the cables breaking on the NBS trucks back in the early 2000"s

ChrisAU

War Damn Eagle
Reaction score
Yep the tailgate I put on my 92 has the metal hinges, has to be much stronger than the cables. These things aren't going to snap. It can be a pain sometimes though as you have to help the hinges get started sometimes or they will fight you closing the tailgate. I also had to dremel out the holes of the hinges a bit for them to fit over the mounts on my bed.

jcoatswo

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
For the tailgate handle.. A couple of years ago I had to shut mine extremely hard to get it to latch. What I did was take the handle out of the tailgate and try to lube the center hinge mechanism there the handle brings the two rods in via the ears on the handle. It worked but I had to do this every couple of months which got annoying. What I ended up doing it drilling out the rivet that holds the "ears" in, directly in the center of the handle on the back side. I took the assembly apart to see that rust particles were seizing one ear to another, there was a plastic washer between the two that was supposed to prevent this was in bad shape. I cleaned every thing up on a bench grinder, hacked up a bolt and ground down a nut to about half the original size so it would fit (GM used a rivet because the clearances are so close). I put the assembly back together about finger tight and tested to make sure it would function then I welded the shortened nut to the shortened bolt, otherwise the nut would eventually back itself off. In the end it was a little more work than I was anticipating and I probably could have just got a new one for the time I spent on it, but its been working flawlessly for a little over a year and a half now. And chances are this " homemade" handle will last longed than if I were to have just slapped a new one on.