Locking tailgate handle options for truck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Will the Tahoe/Suburban locking tailgate handle work on a truck? I just ordered a tonneau cover for my truck. I'd like to make it a little more difficult to get into just in case I have it parked with tools in the back.
Thanks in advance.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Will the Tahoe/Suburban locking tailgate handle work on a truck? I just ordered a tonneau cover for my truck. I'd like to make it a little more difficult to get into just in case I have it parked with tools in the back.
Thanks in advance.
This company makes 2 products for our trucks. Can’t speak for the Electric Lock, but I have the Keyed option and it works great. No idea about a Tahoe/Suburban handle, never heard anyone mention it either.

Nad_Yvalhosert

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The answer is no. The tailgate handle itself bolts into the tailgate and the trim bezel is just a piece of plastic, however similar in size.

The door handle operates in a single up/down motion while the tailgate handle is a side to side double pull motion.

There used to be a company called Pop Lock that marketed a locking cover, where you removed and discarded the tailgate trim bezel. Don't know if any are still on the market due to the age of our trucks and market trends (discontinuing obsolete parts).

Edit: 15 seconds on Google found this. Wonder why you couldn't have looked for this yourself...
I mean, it took longer to type up and post your question...

Last edited:

fancyTBI

Some of my trucks run and drive
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This company makes 2 products for our trucks. Can’t speak for the Electric Lock, but I have the Keyed option and it works great. No idea about a Tahoe/Suburban handle, never heard anyone mention it either.
Whoa I’m getting the keyed version. That is great. Will pair nicely with my bed cover.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The answer is no. The tailgate handle itself bolts into the tailgate and the trim bezel is just a piece of plastic, however similar in size.

The door handle operates in a single up/down motion while the tailgate handle is a side to side double pull motion.

There used to be a company called Pop Lock that marketed a locking cover, where you removed and discarded the tailgate trim bezel. Don't know if any are still on the market due to the age of our trucks and market trends (discontinuing obsolete parts).

Edit: 15 seconds on Google found this. Wonder why you couldn't have looked for this yourself...
I mean, it took longer to type up and post your question...

My link was the Pop&Lock above. It actually is a decent product too. I paid $40.00 2 years ago though.

Reaction score
Actually, I did find the aftermarket solutions before posting this. I prefer the looks of the Tahoe locking tailgate handle. I didn't realize I was going to upset so many people by asking for their knowledge. I appreciate the people that gave me useful advice, and apologize to the ones who's time I wasted.

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
No, really , I get it, I train others, I was an instructor, it was rude, I apologize. And I do have a locking tailgate handle , but haven't installed it yet, it's in the " awaiting a decision" box with other parts now considered NOS because some of the parts have been in that container for .... Uh ...eight years or more. :eek: