Synthetic Fluids Recommended?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

michael hurd

Stalker be gone.
Reaction score
My .02.....I believe that regular oil changes (and a clean air filter) will have a much greater impact on the longevity of any internal combustion engine than dino/synthetic oil. If you've ever torn down an engine that's been neglected of oil changes it'll make you a firm believer in regular maintenance.

Agreed that regular oil changes are a must, regardless of the type of oil used.

SAATR

/\___/\___/\___/\___/\
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The one place in a vehicle that a synthetic fluid really can shine versus a non synthetic is in an automatic transmission. The synthetic base stocks and additive packages used in Allison TES295 approved fluids are far superior to anything out there calling itself Dexron III these days, and will definitely help the life of your clutch packs and hard parts. The shear stability and oxidation resistance alone are worth the price if entry, especially if you spend a lot of time towing with elevated fluid temps.

I use a synthetic engine oil, but only because I like the hot and cold oil pressure that a 5W40 provides, and for that fact that Rotella T6 isn't significantly more expensive than any other quality engine oil. I also run a semi synthetic 75W90 in the rear end, but can't comment on what that has helped or hurt.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Reaction score
That makes sense now that its put that way. I will probably end up going with like a Mobile 1 High Mileage synthetic or something similar in the engine. The transmission and transfer case will also get synthetic too I suppose. Transfer case gets same fluid as transmission correct?

Jrgunn5150

Enjoying tomorrow's success today
Reaction score
That makes sense now that its put that way. I will probably end up going with like a Mobile 1 High Mileage synthetic or something similar in the engine. The transmission and transfer case will also get synthetic too I suppose. Transfer case gets same fluid as transmission correct?

That is correct

MIHELA

1-5-6-3-4-2-7-8
Reaction score
GM says NOT to use Dexron VI in the transfer case. It will work great in the trans though. It has a lower viscosity than Dexron III and it is too thin for the NP241.

Reaction score
Thanks for all the advice everyone. But is it really true about GM saying not to use Dex IV in the transfer case? Seems hard to find anything lower right now.

Jrgunn5150

Reaction score
Thanks for all the advice everyone. But is it really true about GM saying not to use Dex IV in the transfer case? Seems hard to find anything lower right now.

From TSB 04-07-30-037D

Date: November 21, 2007

INFORMATION

Subject:
Release of DEXRON(R)-VI Automatic Transmission Fluid (ATF)

MANUAL TRANSMISSIONS/TRANSFER CASES and POWER STEERING

The content of this bulletin does not apply to manual transmissions or transfer cases. Any vehicle that previously required DEXRON(R)-III for a manual transmission or transfer case should now use P/N 88861800. This fluid is labeled Manual Transmission and Transfer Case Fluid. Power Steering Systems should now use P/N 9985010 labeled Power Steering Fluid

Reaction score
I think I also heard before that Toyota transmission fluid 00718-ATF00 is actually just Dex III. As far as a synthetic substitute for the transfer case, what about Castrol Transmax? I believe one type of it is still considered Dex III equivalent if I am not mistaken?

Jrgunn5150

Reaction score
I'm not a chemist, personally, I just use Valvoline Max Life Multi-fill in everything lol. If it meets the requirements, it's good enough for me.