sway bar link

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

benualson

Reaction score
I am trying to replace a missing swaybar link. As you can see in the second picture, there is a bar in the way so I cannot get a good angle...any tips?

You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images attach

SAATR

/\___/\___/\___/\___/\
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's your upper control arm, and the only advice I can give is to use some extensions and a wiggler (U-joint style extension) to get on it. Good luck!

DGA1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Good angle to do...?

I'd loosen the sway bar on the other side and that should give you some movement in the bar itself, hopefully from there you can loosely mount the new side and tighten.

benualson

Reaction score
i am trying to put a new one in (not take it out), the old one broke at the top. good suggestion on getting the other side off too... i am going to replace that side too.

DGA1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Sure. Where are you hung up? The sway bar will not give you a good angle to get the link fully seated?

benualson

Reaction score
Sure. Where are you hung up? The sway bar will not give you a good angle to get the link fully seated?

i think the swaybar is at a good angle, but the upper control arm is preventing me from seating the link in the swaybar

DGA1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I see. I'd loosen/remove the link on the opposite side which would hopefully allow the swaybar to pivot down and get you enough clearance to get the new one started.

I'm in the office and can't take a look at my truck which is at home, to provide you with a better answer. Usually any other car I've worked on this has never been a problem.

DGA1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You can use some persuasion with a hammer or a pry bar since the lower control arm is not threaded and the rod will just pass through.

benualson

Reaction score
I was able to jack the lower control arm, that helped. However, there isn't quite enough space between the sway bar and the lower control arm for the metal spacer and 2 sets of washer/brushings. I am going to remove the other side's link & hopefully I will be able to move the sway bar around to get these links installed.

Last edited: