swap/upgrades to front calipers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gibson

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
OK,, newbie here. Reading thru this entire thread was what prompted me to "sign-up".
While there has been a ton of great info, there also has been some ongoing misconceptions about how disc brakes operate.
The amount of "movement of fluid" in order to actuate disc brakes is actually almost nothing, no matter the size of the disc pads, within normal automotive use.
The idea of having to "push a lot of fluid" to move the pads is totally false.
Unlike drums, disc brake pads already start-off in a "contact" situation,, and if the rotor run-out is within spec, the distance the pads move between relaxed and tightly clamping on the rotor is only a few thousands of an inch,, typically, the pad movement is only ~5>10 thousands .
What is happening, is not so much the movement of fluid from the MC, but rather, just a "transfer of pressure".
Although some fluid is moved, the amount in volume is miniscule.
As an example, using easy numbers; to move 4 pads, each 2" in dia, with each pad extending 8 thousands, (the calipers slide, so the movement for the piston side is doubled,) only ~ 1.6cc of fluid needs to be pushed out of the MC.
A MC with a 1in bore only has to move its piston ~1/10 of an inch to achieve this fluid motion.
With a 5>1 pedal ratio, the pedal will only move ~1/2 inch to move all of the pads into tight contact with the discs.
With disc/drum brakes almost all of the pedal travel is used-up just in extending the rear shoes before any braking effort can take place.
When I converted my '80 K20 to 4 wheel discs, total pedal travel in a "hard" stop was less than 1-1/2 inches, and part of that was just the "free travel" and mechanical clearance in the linkage.
I suspect that many issues of "long pedal travel" can be traced directly to improper bleeding.
If you look in the Chilton #28624 manual, section 9, page 6, you'll see two pics of the little tool that is used to keep the piston in the CV open,, if you don't use this device, (or something similar,) all you end-up doing is moving air bubbles back-an-forth in the rear brake lines, and you never get a 100% solid column of brake fluid without using a lot of fluid and a lot of time.
Also, pressure bleeding is absolutely the way to go if you can.

Last edited:

August76

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I don't know if it's been mentioned or not but I just swapped rear ends out of a 98 GMC Yukon and to my surprise the drum brakes are much bigger on the Yukon than my 97 Z71
You must be registered for see images attach

ccreddell

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Any progress on this?

Got a little sidetracked when I dropped a roller lifter and took out the whole motor. Putting together a 383 to drop in it hopefully in the next week or so...Then work will recommence on the brake kit.

Stepside_fever95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Just to confirm, k1500 pads will work on k2500 calipers?

Sent from my SM-S727VL using Tapatalk

twt63

Reaction score
If you really want to stop well, swap to hydroboost, run 1 ton front caliper's, rear disc swap, I also use a proportioning valve from a 03 DISC/DISC Yukon, and braided lines all around, it will stop on a dime! This is how my 95 is done.
What route rear
If you really want to stop well, swap to hydroboost, run 1 ton front caliper's, rear disc swap, I also use a proportioning valve from a 03 DISC/DISC Yukon, and braided lines all around, it will stop on a dime! This is how my 95 is done.
what route did you take to swap the rear to discs?

brutpwr

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
The part numbers for my EBC yellow disc pads on my Tahoe were different than the pads for my K2500 Suburban so I don't believe the pads would interchange...

gordonm1

Reaction score
My 1991 K1500 W/T standard cab probably has the weakest brakes for a full size. I have slightly oversize tires now and after a front brake rebuild the non-abs front brakes don't seem to lock up on dry pavement. They do on gravel and the rear ABS does not lock up. This is an OBD1 setup. I currently have the original 9" DIAM booster and ordered the 10-1/2" power booster to replace my 9".

Autozone says it will fit. Will it work? Will it help the stopping power?

I see I am supposed to be able to get the light duty calipers for the 3/4 ton. However, I just replaced rotors, calipers, Wagner TQ semi-metallic pads, master cylinder, fluid.

So will the 3/4 ton calipers increase braking power and same for the booster?

dfarr67

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I swapped in the 2500 front calipers with HPS pads on my 89, worked well enough but got tired of the pads rattling around, doing the whole nbs swap now.....just waiting on some parts.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
i have a sticking caliper all of a sudden... so i guess i'll be doing the 3/4 ton caliper swap.

i have a few questions for the 2wd guys..

do i need to use 1/2 ton pads or 3/4 pads? if either work.. would 3/4 be better?

what year model truck would i ask for parts for?

my 89 has the light duty rotors by the way (smaller spindle shaft) can i still do this upgrade? (without changing spindles/rotors)
Check your brake hoses, if they're very old they disintegrate inside and that will clog up the caliper. It can get overheated and catch on fire (ask me how l know! ) This time last year l was rebuilding the front brakes on the Burb from just that very thing happening.