swap/upgrades to front calipers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
hey guys I was sifting through the threads and was unable to find any options or upgrades to the front calipers. So if anyone has some info I'd love to hear it!

squeaky3

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
glad this thread came up..im pretty sure that i have a sticking caliper and was thinking about upgrading them since i do have the 3/4 rear end...those brakes work alot faster than the front ones do from higher speeds...the rear will lock up long before the front even thinks about

im gonna have to get me some 2500 front calipers now

JollyGreen

Metalworking Madman
Reaction score
This is good news because I was thinking about this exact thing today. Guess I need to find me some new calipers. I also think I need to work on the rear...they're starting to whine when I stop. Annoying as hell.

borahshadow

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So I've heard that people who have done a rear disc conversion say that the back end will lock up slightly before the front end and so an adjustable proportioning valve may be a good idea. Would putting in the heavier duty front calipers possibly correct the balance of braking power enough or do you think that an adjustable proportioning valve may be necessary?

Hezsus

Mr. Truck
Reaction score
a valve never hurts but i'd bet the 3/4 ton calps would be enough since thats how the truck would have come from factory

borahshadow

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
a valve never hurts but i'd bet the 3/4 ton calps would be enough since thats how the truck would have come from factory

I didn't think any gmt 400 had rear discs... I know the heavier duty ones had bigger drums in the back though.. so I think that what you were trying to say is that the bigger front would help balance out the more powerful rear whether it was more powerful because it was bigger drums or a disc conversion.