Swap Meet Slam

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WILWAXU

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Truck update: With other projects starting back up, the truck has moved into its parts hauler/daily driver role. I did “upgrade” the brakes by removing the old, out of date, ABS system. No more funny brake pedal feel. Rear disks to replace the drums are probably coming soon :)

You must be registered for see images attach

Aarong23

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Truck update: With other projects starting back up, the truck has moved into its parts hauler/daily driver role. I did “upgrade” the brakes by removing the old, out of date, ABS system. No more funny brake pedal feel. Rear disks to replace the drums are probably coming soon :)

What is the trick to removing this? Is it just pulling the old unit off and nothing else? Does it throw codes?

Tommy Frantz

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a 97 K3500 that I'm adding power mirrors to; I have door harnesses from a 99 Suburban with power mirrors and I have the harness that runs across the firewall from the same Suburban. I also have the GM door switch panel with the mirror switches,, what else will I need? I doubt I can change the firewall harness completely because it had electric 4wd, etc., and mine has manual 4wd. Will I need to make a series of relays to control the mirrors or can I run the mirror motor current through the door switch? Thanks for any help!!

WILWAXU

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have a 97 K3500 that I'm adding power mirrors to; I have door harnesses from a 99 Suburban with power mirrors and I have the harness that runs across the firewall from the same Suburban. I also have the GM door switch panel with the mirror switches,, what else will I need? I doubt I can change the firewall harness completely because it had electric 4wd, etc., and mine has manual 4wd. Will I need to make a series of relays to control the mirrors or can I run the mirror motor current through the door switch? Thanks for any help!!
I did not use relays for the mirrors. I used the mirror harness "ends" from a suburban. By "ends", I cut what you can get out without pulling the dash. I spliced in new wire across under the dash. I did use the complete harness from each door. From memory, it was straight forward. I connected the power side of the remote to a switched power source and ground.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Super glad I decided to read this whole thread. Awesome truck. I never knew Ridetech made an upgraded bar for these, I just emailed them to see if that Musclebar would work on my dually. I've long wanted an upgraded front bar to help with the ginormous camper I put in the back and I already have the Hellwig rear bar. If you want a real braking improvement, I recommend hydroboosting the thing. Just did it to my 1500 which had an ABS delete and same line setup as yours. As expected, the big pedal will now put you through the windshield.

Reaction score
“Tuning” up the old truck. Added a pair of door speakers to mix this week, along with chasing down a brake light issue.

I went with shallow mount speakers and small enclosures to keep them in the door panels. These added a much need mid-range fill. The complete system includes Kicker factory replacements (dash & b-pillar), a Phoenix Gold 8” Slim active bass enclosure under the passengers seat, and now the Pioneer 5-1/4" in the door panels. The head unit is a Sony XAV-AX1000.

Great looking truck! You are the 1st person that I have seen to use a Tahoe window switch. I switched my panels out 25 years ago. I could not find a Tahoe, so I had to settle for a suburban. A friend made me with his 3D printer a "plug" to fill the rear window switches. It looks like you replace your whole front end along with the rear springs. Did you just error on the side of caution or were they worn out. You have given me some great ideas. I am in the process of going from a 2 & 4 to the Ridetech with either your Torque thrusts or aluminum rally's. I have had yellow rally's on my truck since day one (1991). Want to switch to bucket seats, but can't find a nice set in gray.

WILWAXU

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Great looking truck! You are the 1st person that I have seen to use a Tahoe window switch. I switched my panels out 25 years ago. I could not find a Tahoe, so I had to settle for a suburban. A friend made me with his 3D printer a "plug" to fill the rear window switches. It looks like you replace your whole front end along with the rear springs. Did you just error on the side of caution or were they worn out. You have given me some great ideas. I am in the process of going from a 2 & 4 to the Ridetech with either your Torque thrusts or aluminum rally's. I have had yellow rally's on my truck since day one (1991). Want to switch to bucket seats, but can't find a nice set in gray.
Thanks! Yup, love the Tahoe door switch setup. I like the 3D print idea. Yes, I replaced the front end stuff because of the high-mileage, figured it was cheap insurance. The rear springs on this truck, when I go it, were some sort of heavy duty mono leafs, so I went with stock replacements from LMC. I got the seats out of a suburban at my local pick-a-part.