Subwoofer install with stock radio?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

The Baron

I like drugs
Reaction score
Hey all! So since it looks like the 400 is gonna be dead in the water for a while, I'm looking at putting my subwoofers in the 800. I'm fine with running power, and I'll have to check if the box will fit or if i'll have to make a new one. But what I'm uncertain about is wiring the Subs to the stock radio. Is this possible, do I need a harness, or should I just wait and put in a new head unit? Thanks ahead of time.

SCOTTYINWV

si vis pacem, para bellum
Reaction score
Get a line out converter and Tap into rear speaker outputs. That will give you rcas in the rear.

Then you will need to find switched ignition to use as a remote wire. Possibly a fuse tap into the stereo fuse.

It's easy as hell and a line out converter is like $10-20 and a fuse tap is like $3

SCOTTYINWV

Reaction score
Besides power and ground like any other sub Install, that's all you need. When I installed in my impala, I ran a loop from my power on the amp, up to a push pull switch under my dash, back to the remote input on the amp. That way I could easily kill subs with passengers with sensitive hearing or late at night around cops and ****. But a fuse tap would have worked fine to keep constant power with the stereo on.

The Baron

I like drugs
Reaction score
One more quick question. Every converter I look at has 4 wires, say 2 black 2 brown. Obviously one pair taps into the stock wiring, but what do the other two go to? The amp?

EDIT: Looked on amazon and found this: http://www.amazon.com/SCOSCHE-LOC2S...-4&keywords=line+out+converter#productDetails Which only has 1 wire out. That'll tap into the stock harness, and then the sub connects to the RCA's correct? And its as simple as that?

Last edited:

SCOTTYINWV

Reaction score
The ones with 4 wires tap into left and right. Helps keep an even balance. I'm not sure on the Amazon link.

Like this: I used this one and the brown wire was not used.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00DZ...&dpID=416DnNm9NzL&ref=plSrch&pi=AC_SX200_QL40

should have 4 speaker connection wires ( 2 +, 2 - ), the brown wire (no clue) and the rca outputs. This is a 2 channel setup.

There are others with 8 speaker conceptions ( 4 +, 4 - ) and is made for a 4 channel setup.

Last edited:

96Z71ECSB

Old Gearhead
Reaction score
Check you amp for speaker level inputs.
You may not need a converter.

SCOTTYINWV

Reaction score
Most that use speaker level inputs come with a pigtail that gets tossed when the box is opened.